Help! Six line wrasse not eating

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My six line, I haven't seen him eat any of the food I put in since I got him about 3 days ago. Seen him pick at the rock occasionally and the algae on the glass but not actually eat.

What's wrong with him

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its been 3 days, he may be a little stressed from the handling. IF he picks at the algae and the rocks he is eating and hes getting used to the tank.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, its been 3 days, he may be a little stressed from the handling. IF he picks at the algae and the rocks he is eating and hes getting used to the tank.
So they eat algae too? I'm not sure if the myssis I feed is too big for him as I see he has a tiny mouth

He's not eating the pellets either but to be honest neither do my clowns anymore

Both myssis and pellets have garlic infused so it's more enticing for them

Ill give him another day or 2.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What pellets are you feeding? Is he getting Unwell/Thin?
Ocean nutrition formula 2 omnivore medium soft pellets enriched with garlic. I don't feed it anymore tho because my clowns used to eat them until I fed frozen mysiss with garlic and they just didn't touch the pellets after.

I want to feed a veritie of foods to mix up thair diet but they are not having it lol

The wrasse looks healthy I've just never not had a fish not eat before and got a bit worried but I suppose they are scavangers right? So they will get most food from the algae on the rocks /glass and whatever they find?
I have seen him pick sand up in his mouth a few times maybe eating stuff in it? Idk it's my first time keeping this fish or a fish like it

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rely on algae, they are carnivores. If he looks healthy, swimming, active and socializing. Just let him get used to the tank. I had a blue tang who didn't eat for a week and picked at the rocks like 2 times a day but he looked healthy. If he starts to show signs of him being unwell or sick, just post it on this forum. Six Line Wrasses do like pods though. DO you have micro fauna?

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rely on algae, they are carnivores. If he looks healthy, swimming, active and socializing. Just let him get used to the tank. I had a blue tang who didn't eat for a week and picked at the rocks like 2 times a day but he looked healthy. If he starts to show signs of him being unwell or sick, just post it on this forum. Six Line Wrasses do like pods though. DO you have micro fauna?
Just seen him take a tiny scrap of myssis that was floating around, I think it may be too big for him as I said, yeah he hangs about with the clowns, it's pretty cool to watch them swim in a trio, never seen that before

No I don't have micro algae but planning on diying a hob refugium for cpods but at night I see literally loads of little shrimp looking things so I guess there similar to cpods? Maybe he eats them? But at night he dissapears as he sleeps in the sand under a rock but Idk I'm still newish to all this lol (tank has fish in it for 8 months) so it's not a new tank but I'm still figuring stuff out

But all in all he looks happy

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
`They might be amphipods. MAybe chop up the mysis into little bits?
Yeah that's what they are, could not remember the name lol. As its frozen I usually feed a quarter of a block a day, don't thaw just throw it right in. Only have 2 clowns which eat most of it and the greedy pig of a cleaner shrimp even swims up to try grab it so he eats the rest and the wrasse might take 1 scrap peice and spit it out or maybe he's just ripping a piece off?

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats your problem, thaw it.
I will try it next time I feed, I don't see how if I thawed it would make a difference though because it usually breaks up as soon as it hits the water. U might have a point though probably too cold for him

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that and my clownfish and angelfish thought I was feeding crap or something. Everytime I thawed it it was like (Insert something everyone loves and is addicted to here) for them. They gobbled it up. Maybe just get a small cup, fill it with water from your tank, put the mysis in it and let it sit for 15 minutes in the fridge ten feed it, then put it back in the fridge for the next feeding. Repeat. Worked for me. Don't worry about the water in the cup and putting it in your aquarium because mysis is 80 percent water so it doesn't pollute the water as much as a pellet or flake. Don't feed to much because of that info, feed normally. Be warned if you do leave the cup out for more than 5-10 minutes, throw it out because the mysis will turn bad. Hopefully this is why this is the problem.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that and my clownfish and angelfish thought I was feeding crap or something. Everytime I thawed it it was like (Insert something everyone loves and is addicted to here) for them. They gobbled it up. Maybe just get a small cup, fill it with water from your tank, put the mysis in it and let it sit for 15 minutes in the fridge ten feed it, then put it back in the fridge for the next feeding. Repeat. Worked for me. Don't worry about the water in the cup and putting it in your aquarium because mysis is 80 percent water so it doesn't pollute the water as much as a pellet or flake. Don't feed to much because of that info, feed normally. Be warned if you do leave the cup out for more than 5-10 minutes, throw it out because the mysis will turn bad. Hopefully this is why this is the problem.
Yeah I'll try it tomorrow when I feed again. I do spot feed my corals and cleaner shrimp 1 time a week with coral food, but the shrimp has leaned to eat from a pipe so has my clowns they just come up basically hand feeding. I want to teach the wrasse that to it let's me know how much food they get and that they eat every single peice and that they don't fight for it as they all get their own turns of eating from the pipet lol. But other times I just throw quarter of a cube in (my food lasts forever because I can get 4 days of feeding out of one block and there is 12 blocks in the pack also there only £2.50 each so its really really cheap to feed a pack can last me 3-4 months and I usually buy 2 at a time

I'll definitely thaw it tomorrow though thanks for the tip

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'll try it tomorrow when I feed again. I do spot feed my corals and cleaner shrimp 1 time a week with coral food, but the shrimp has leaned to eat from a pipe so has my clowns they just come up basically hand feeding. I want to teach the wrasse that to it let's me know how much food they get and that they eat every single peice and that they don't fight for it as they all get their own turns of eating from the pipet lol. But other times I just throw quarter of a cube in (my food lasts forever because I can get 4 days of feeding out of one block and there is 12 blocks in the pack also there only £2.50 each so its really really cheap to feed a pack can last me 3-4 months and I usually buy 2 at a time

I'll definitely thaw it tomorrow though thanks for the tip

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should buy the Hikari Bio-Pure mysis because thats what I feed and I get 38 cubes.

Also, if thawing dosen't work, consider taking out the garlic but if they don't eat try and switch the brand.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should buy the Hikari Bio-Pure mysis because thats what I feed and I get 38 cubes.

Also, if thawing dosen't work, consider taking out the garlic but if they don't eat try and switch the brand.
I can't take the garlic out, it's infused within the block. My clowns love it so I might try buy a different food for the wrasse specifically

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm going to feed in an hour or so I'll let you know what happens

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back