Help! Six line wrasse not eating

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thaw my mysis first. I rinse it under a sugar spoon like the one I am showing in the picture. It's the perfect size for doing a cube at a time and takes less than a minute. Then I store the leftoveftovers in the fridge in a 2oz portion cup. The thawed food is usually good 3-4 days.
sugar spoon.jpg

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thaw my mysis first. I rinse it under a sugar spoon like the one I am showing in the picture. It's the perfect size for doing a cube at a time and takes less than a minute. Then I store the leftoveftovers in the fridge in a 2oz portion cup. The thawed food is usually good 3-4 days.
sugar spoon.jpg
I thawed it. Still doesn't eat it, only my clowns and cleaner shrimp are eating it

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries if it's only been a few days. Some of my fish took a while to start grabbing the mysis also. Do you have any flakes that you can make small to try?
No, have medium pellets but they are way too big for him and not even my clowns eat it anymore. I have coral/invert food Idk if that's too small tho

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, have medium pellets but they are way too big for him and not even my clowns eat it anymore. I have coral/invert food Idk if that's too small tho
That may be too small. If you have a store close, I would maybe try flakes so you can smoosh them as small as you need. Good luck with your new friend.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, just for the record, at what time do I start to panic? Like when he doesent eat anything I give him? Should I just assume he's getting his own food as long as he's not dead he's fine?

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he starts getting thinner or showing any other signs of stress, then I'd worry. I did have a clown that didn't initally eat but everyone turned out fine. They didn't like the mysis at first either and I had to start them all on flakes. That's when I learned to ask my LFS what they have been eating. I think everyone has learned to eat anything that goes in now. My diamond goby is also getting smart enough to know if he wants his preferred mysis he needs to come to the top before clowns and tang eat it all.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I orderd mine online while I was getting corals. It's been almost a week now but I'll still keep trying. I'll get new food tomorrow

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week is when I would be concerned. Maybe try some live black worms or live brine shrimp if you have access to any. Frozen worms might work also.

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week is when I would be concerned. Maybe try some live black worms or live brine shrimp if you have access to any. Frozen worms might work also.
I was thinking about getting a bag of live pods and dumping the whole bag in so there's a decent supply of them

I have tropical flakes for my fw fish but they have different stuff in it doesn't it? Would it be OK to try tropical flakes?

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think using your flakes would be a problem at least temporarily. You just want to get him to eat.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a while for some fish to begin eating normally after introduction to the tank. Especially wrasses; when I added mine it took a few days for them to start appearing at feeding time and feeding normally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he starts getting thinner or showing any other signs of stress, then I'd worry. I did have a clown that didn't initally eat but everyone turned out fine. They didn't like the mysis at first either and I had to start them all on flakes. That's when I learned to ask my LFS what they have been eating. I think everyone has learned to eat anything that goes in now. My diamond goby is also getting smart enough to know if he wants his preferred mysis he needs to come to the top before clowns and tang eat it all.
Hey man, just fed the tank and he started eating quite a bit (fed myssis) so he must have just been getting used to the new environment. He came right up to it as soon as it touched the watter lol.

Just letting you know all is well

OP
OP
B

BigTomo003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, just fed the tank and he started eating quite a bit (fed myssis) so he must have just been getting used to the new environment. He came right up to it as soon as it touched the watter lol.

Just letting you know all is well

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back