Help stocking a 270g FOWLR

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be upgrading from our current clown/anemone 60g cube to a 270g (84x30x25) FOWLR and would like some feedback on a stocking list.

The two clowns from the 60g cube will be coming over, but not the nems... they don't host the clowns anyways :(

Tangs
Desjardini Sailfin (my must have)
Sohal (her must have)
Naso (my really would like to have)
Blue Tang (her must have)
Powder Blue
Yellow

I know the Powder Blue and Sohal can be big bullies, so the PB will probably be dropped to give the wife her Sohal (which I think will be the last to second to last added to the tank). The Yellow could be dropped as there are lots of other yellow fish out there.

What is everyone's thoughts on the first four tangs on that list?

Angels
Emperor or Regal (some day in the future maybe)

Butterfly
Auriga
Latticed

Any issues with these two in the same tank?

Foxface
Foxface Lo

Wrasse
Red Head Solon
Six Line
Melanurus

I've heard the Six Line can be pretty mean to other Wrasse, so if the other two could coexist I would be willing to drop the Six Line.

Schooling/Smaller fish
I'd also like to here some ideas on schooling fish that would be good in this tank as well as some smaller fish (besides the two clowns) to give it some more visual appeal.

Trigger
I love trigger fish and the wife really like the Niger Tigger. This fish might be on the list a little further down the road as I'm not sure about it aggression level towards the other fish and having to care for it's teeth.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be upgrading from our current clown/anemone 60g cube to a 270g (84x30x25) FOWLR and would like some feedback on a stocking list.

The two clowns from the 60g cube will be coming over, but not the nems... they don't host the clowns anyways :(

Tangs
Desjardini Sailfin (my must have)
Sohal (her must have)
Naso (my really would like to have)
Blue Tang (her must have)
Powder Blue
Yellow

I know the Powder Blue and Sohal can be big bullies, so the PB will probably be dropped to give the wife her Sohal (which I think will be the last to second to last added to the tank). The Yellow could be dropped as there are lots of other yellow fish out there.

What is everyone's thoughts on the first four tangs on that list?

Angels
Emperor or Regal (some day in the future maybe)

Butterfly
Auriga
Latticed

Any issues with these two in the same tank?

Foxface
Foxface Lo

Wrasse
Red Head Solon
Six Line
Melanurus

I've heard the Six Line can be pretty mean to other Wrasse, so if the other two could coexist I would be willing to drop the Six Line.

Schooling/Smaller fish
I'd also like to here some ideas on schooling fish that would be good in this tank as well as some smaller fish (besides the two clowns) to give it some more visual appeal.

Trigger
I love trigger fish and the wife really like the Niger Tigger. This fish might be on the list a little further down the road as I'm not sure about it aggression level towards the other fish and having to care for it's teeth.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Sailfin and naso

Emperor, have you thought about blue face?

Latticed

Any fairy wrasse, so the red head would be my top pick

Triggers aren’t overly aggressive and many people have good experiences with them. I just ordered a pair of blue throats... another one to consider

As for schooling fish, chromis are known to pick each other off, so are anthias, but i love em both

:)

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin and naso

Emperor, have you thought about blue face?

Latticed

Any fairy wrasse, so the red head would be my top pick

Triggers aren’t overly aggressive and many people have good experiences with them. I just ordered a pair of blue throats... another one to consider

As for schooling fish, chromis are known to pick each other off, so are anthias, but i love em both

:)

I forgot about the blue face. My LFS had one a couple of weeks ago and it was really sweet looking. I'm not crazy about chromis or anthias. In stead of some schooling fish, I might do a trio of tangs instead.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are peoples thoughts on keeping multiple smaller wrasse to fill in the visual sizes? If we were to do say 4 to 6 tangs, the foxface, two butterflies, and maybe a trigger or angle down the road, how many and what type of wrasse would you consider?

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order with @tsmaquatics for three blue hippo tangs and a one spot foxface. I'm now waiting for them to get the Desjardini Sailfin and Narso (or a blond) in so I can order them as well.

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good combination to me !
Thanks. To be honest, I was a little nervous dropping that much on 4 tangs... especially when my new tank is still being built. I expect the tank will be delivered a week or so before the fish are ready to ship. I do have a 60g cube up and running that some of them can go into until the larger tank is fully ready for them. I've also got a 40g breeder tank and sump setup sitting out in the shop that I'm going to setup so I can also put some in there.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
944F02F7-4325-496C-90BA-3168640723CB.jpeg

I might be partial to my own tank (and who isn’t—Lol!), but this is a dynamite team for your FOWLR. As for the perfect Wrasse, my Lunar Wrasse (who died in a freak accident when transferring tanks) was a large, colorful, perpetual motion machine.

Check out my Build Thread... I’m enjoying your journey as well. Get a good UV sterilizer, as that and a skimmer are keeping my heavily-fed FOWLR very clear!

OP
OP
Oberst Hajj

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels are definitely on my list, we'll just wait until the tank is up and running and things look good before getting any of them... they are so expensive! lol

I'd love to have a clown trigger, I'm just concerned with it eventually out growing my tank size. How long have you had yours and how much has it grown?

Back