Help! Strange pH readings - descrepancy between tanks in same system

astreck827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize in advance for the long read but I want to include as much detail as possible. TLDR at end.
Hoping for some help here because if the readings that I'm getting are correct, I have some serious issues that require swift correction. I have been measuring pH using a salifert kit up until now and typically get between 8.15-8.3. I had an old pinpoint pH meter with no probe that I got in a bulk buy from a system shut down that I hadn't used until today, and I am somewhat concerned with the readings I'm getting. I decided to order a new probe after doing some research and seeing a post by Randy saying that the pH test kits are not very accurate and a probe is the way to go. So I ordered a probe from Amazon and received it today. This was not an expensive probe, only $20, and it is not the same manufacturer of the meter, but I had assumed that since they are able to be calibrated and the connection is a standard "BNC" type it would be OK. For calibration, I used Hanna calibration fluid with pH of 7.01 and 4.01 - another caveat here, they were expired by about 3 years, but I didn't think that would affect anything since they are individually sealed fluid pouches with no damage, and the 7.01 pouches were still in a box covered in cellophane. Once calibrated to 4.01 and 7.01 (several times at each pH), I submerged the probe in my sump and the numbers I got were NOT what I expected. The meter was quickly fluctuating between about 7.1 and 7.55 and everywhere in between, I would say average ~7.4. I gave it a few minutes and appreciated no change in the range or the speed of fluctuations. I then moved the probe to my frag tank, where it read much more stable at about 7.8 (7.77-7.82). I tried my main display and display fuge and got similar results to the frag tank. My first thought was to double check my alk - I had recently experienced a large uptake in alk from my system and attributed it to a coral growth spurt. I changed my GFO about 2 days ago and my phosphates dropped from about 0.2 to 0.06, and thought I was seeing a good effect from the change. It has happened before in the past where I hit a sweet spot and suddenly my alk consumption jumps. Yesterday I actually increased my 2 part dosing from 75 mL/day to 120 mL/day and my alk this am was 8.7 dKH. Retest from sump showed 8.6 on the Hanna checker and 8.5 from the frag tank. I ran a salifert test and got 8.0. I also checked the pH with salifert from both tanks and could not see a discernible difference in color between the 2 tanks. I rechecked the calibration fluids and they were still spot on. I then mixed some of the 4.01 buffer solution powder that the probe came with and it was right on the dot.
Is this possible that there is so much of a difference between sump and connected tanks? The readings from the sump were literally right next to my skimmer which I thought would increase the pH. Am I overlooking something simple? What could be interfereing with my readings? I was really hoping to see a nice 8.3-8.4 given the increase in alk dosing. I also run kalk on a doser and I dose 50 mL/hr around the clock for my 220 total gallon system. I recently changed from Fritz to Red Sea blue bucket. My sump is full of live rock and I run a chaeto reactor, GFO reactor, and biopellet reactor. I dose BRS 2 part + mag and kalk, and supplement with Seachem Fuel. Everything in my tank looks good. SPS are growing, acros are fuzzy, torches and hammers are fat, and gorgonians (which usually tell me if something is off) were fuzzy as ever.

TLDR; I used a pH probe from the first time and my sump pH was ~7.4 while my DT and frag tanks were ~7.8.

OP
OP
astreck827

astreck827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my sump is not my return, it drains into another tank that houses my return pump and I dose into the return, not the sump where I am getting the strange readings. Moving the probe to different places within the sump also does not change the readings.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Hanna calibration fluid with pH of 7.01 and 4.01 - another caveat here, they were expired by about 3 years, but I didn't think that would affect anything since they are individually sealed fluid pouches with no damage, and the 7.01 pouches were still in a box covered in cellophane.
let's presume that the expiration dates might be meaningful. I'd order some new calibration fluid. In the meantime...

Jim welsh posted a nice way to make on-demand 2 point pH reference solutions with household products here. Saturated borax and saturated cream of tartar.

"Adding still more DIY to this test method: I have found that I can use DIY pH calibration buffers made out of Borax and Cream of Tartar to calibrate my Pinpoint pH meter!..."

I have been measuring pH using a salifert kit up until now and typically get between 8.15-8.3.
Does the salifert kit agree that the sump pH is ~0.4 units lower than the main tank? Or is that only with the electronic probe. If it's only the probe reading lower, then that and the fluctuation that doesn't settle to me suggest electrical interference in your sump water.

The meter was quickly fluctuating between about 7.1 and 7.55 and everywhere in between, I would say average ~7.4. I gave it a few minutes and appreciated no change in the range or the speed of fluctuations. I then moved the probe to my frag tank, where it read much more stable at about 7.8 (7.77-7.82). I tried my main display and display fuge and got similar results to the frag tank.
7.8 isn't terrible. But it also may not be correct for the calibration issues mentioned earlier.

My sump is full of live rock and I run a chaeto reactor, GFO reactor, and biopellet reactor.
any chance you sampled coming straight out of a biopellet reactor? Those metabolic processes would lower pH, but not sure if it would be a detectable amount.

OP
OP
astreck827

astreck827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed a sample of water from my sump and it read 7.8 - obviously something is affecting the reading there. My hunch is stray voltage - would this affect pH readings?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed a sample of water from my sump and it read 7.8 - obviously something is affecting the reading there. My hunch is stray voltage - would this affect pH readings?

Electrical interference, sometimes by the electric cords, can impact some pH meters. I do not think induced voltage in a reef tank will do it.

Improper grounding of the water can mess with pH measurement. That’s called a ground loop:

OP
OP
astreck827

astreck827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Improper grounding of the water can mess with pH measurement. That’s called a ground loop:
I will have to read on this. I’m at work right now and don’t have time to delve into it but my quick read is that multiple ground sources can “arc” across your water? So if I have a strip from two different outlets would this cause this?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to read on this. I’m at work right now and don’t have time to delve into it but my quick read is that multiple ground sources can “arc” across your water? So if I have a strip from two different outlets would this cause this?

It might. Some probes may also act similarly to grounds in this context.

OP
OP
astreck827

astreck827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always I appreciate input from everyone. I think I have a good place to start and at least know that my pH is within range, now time to find ways to bump it up. I may switch to sodium hydroxide for my 2 part. If I may ask one more question - if I switch to sodium hydroxide for alk, can I keep the BRS 2 part calcium or do I need to change that up in order to account for components that change when switching from soda ash?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always I appreciate input from everyone. I think I have a good place to start and at least know that my pH is within range, now time to find ways to bump it up. I may switch to sodium hydroxide for my 2 part. If I may ask one more question - if I switch to sodium hydroxide for alk, can I keep the BRS 2 part calcium or do I need to change that up in order to account for components that change when switching from soda ash?

The recipe is identical from all standpoints except the alk part.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back