Help! Sump brace needed

BRS

BostonReefer300

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi All,
My acrylic sump (66"Lx48"Wx16"H; there's no top or rim---basically a 3-sided rectangle with a totally open top) has been slowing bowing out in the middle. The middle compartment is large so I'm guessing the weight of the water over time just stressed things in the middle. Does anyone have a suggestion for a brace? Even something I can just pick up at Home Depot? I've been searching online and can't find anything that looks suitable. Acrylic thickness is 3/4". Thanks!

BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Hi All,
My acrylic sump (66"Lx48"Wx16"H; there's no top or rim---basically a 3-sided rectangle with a totally open top) has been slowing bowing out in the middle. The middle compartment is large so I'm guessing the weight of the water over time just stressed things in the middle. Does anyone have a suggestion for a brace? Even something I can just pick up at Home Depot? I've been searching online and can't find anything that looks suitable. Acrylic thickness is 3/4". Thanks!
Simply add eurobracing. Easy to do. Use Weldon instead of glue- no silicone

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
HD doesn't carry acrylic of adequate thickness; you'd have to go to somewhere like US Plastics. I'd probably just put a cross brace on, since it's a sump; but eurobracing would certainly look better.

OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you both for the suggestions. Eurobracing won't work great here because of the cover on my filter sock compartment. A simple center brace is probably the way to go. Any suggestions? I'm looking at the Home Depot website but don't see anything suitable. In my mind, I'm picturing something simple---like a rod that has an L-shaped claw on each end and something in the middle that allows me to tighten it BasementSump042121.jpg

BRS

What percentage of blue versus white lighting do you think makes the best coral growth combo?

• All Blue

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • Mostly Blue

Votes: 275 62.1%
  • Even Balance

Votes: 109 24.6%
  • Mostly White

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • All White

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.8%