Help to open my Sun Coral, Tubastraea

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ha ve a mix of meaty food, but do not have the paper anymore :/ so do not remember exactly...
But how do I feed it with frozen food if it is closed?
You can't, that's why you need to get it to open and start feeding first in a container. I think I mentioned it before, but you will need to persevere with it.

Once it has fed well for a week, you can stop removing it from the main tank and it should just respond and open at the smell of food in the tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post will walk you through getting your coral to open and keeping it happy long-term.
That’s good stuff right there.

But I will mention. I just put them in the tank with good flow , moved em a bit till I saw response , hit them with the turkey baster of food. Eventually (week or more ) opened up.

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what frozen food? Thinking it might be ideal for the sun coral.
I had one of these, I enjoyed having it even though it took a little extra maintenance. these guys are non photo-synesthetic so they dont even need light which is cool if you put them under a ledge or in a cave in your rock. Basically, dont let them get too much light. Tube feed it baby mysis shrimp. Make sure they get some. they are slow eaters and Ive had my angel fish pick off the shrimp hanging from their tentacle thingies.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@graffitireef It's not my sun coral, I had one once, but ended up working away a lot and couldn't care for it properly, but I understand their requirements, I am just try to help advise @khalisee

@stunreefer has a great thread, which covers everything he needs to know about getting it to feed.

I think the first week is the toughest, but having the right food will help and you're totally right about mysis shrimp, they really respond and do well on them in my experience.

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what frozen food? Thinking it might be ideal for the sun coral.
Oh I am sorry... I did answer the post but apparetly the message was never sent :(

I do not remember the full name, and unfortunatly I do not find the paper where it was written. But it is mainy a mix of different meaty food.
Today my clown fish started to attack me when I wanted to feed the Sun Coral... :O
Does someone knows the reason? is it because he is ticked to see my hand every day now?

Thanks for the help

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are just feisty territorial little fish, it's normal behaviour. Keep the sun coral at the other end of the tank from where they hang out, just while you're in the nursing phase.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to ask a question. I have had one for 2 weeks now. It opens in the evening. I have been feeding it a mix of frozen mysis, reefroids, phytofeast and oysterfeast. All the heads open but not all will keep the mysis pieces stuck to them. Some let them float away after a while. Im wondering if feeding every day is too much for every head?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to ask a question. I have had one for 2 weeks now. It opens in the evening. I have been feeding it a mix of frozen mysis, reefroids, phytofeast and oysterfeast. All the heads open but not all will keep the mysis pieces stuck to them. Some let them float away after a while. Im wondering if feeding every day is too much for every head?
Might be. But it will change as the coral gets used to the tank.
NPS are an odd breed. Some call it “training”

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be. But it will change as the coral gets used to the tank.
NPS are an odd breed. Some call it “training”
I notice too, looks like some of the mysis cast offs seem stuck to long sticky threads. Saving it for later? Or maybe the bits they are casting off after digestion?
I also have been overly attentive and give them a baster blast of calanus after 10 min before they close back up.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice too, looks like some of the mysis cast offs seem stuck to long sticky threads. Saving it for later? Or maybe the bits they are casting off after digestion?
I also have been overly attentive and give them a baster blast of calanus after 10 min before they close back up.
Hover parenting? Lol.
Honestly haven’t seen that behavior really. I do imagine they pickand choose a bit though

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back