Help to open my Sun Coral, Tubastraea

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,
I bought last week a Sun Coral, and according to the explanation of the shop in which I bought it, the care of the Sun coral was not sounding so much difficult (just put the food and it will open). Surprisingly, it is not the case. I am really struggling to have it open. Could you please let me know what should I do to have it open and that it will survive.
And what about holidays? how do I do to provide it with the food it needs?

Thanks for your help,
Cheers,
Khal

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are slow to aclimate. I had one once and got rid of it because it ws too much of a pain.

What I suggest it removing it from the tank daily in a small container of tank water.

Try and get a response by putting in some phytoplankton or reefroids or something similar.

After you get a reaction, try laying out some defrosted mysis shrimp on it.

I would expect it to open a little and feed.

Repeat daily for about a week or until it consistently opens when it smells food.
Mine would open when I fed my fish and then I was able to target feed it mysis shrimp a few times a week.

Post a pic if you have any concerns for its health in general.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great corals, great filter feeders.
I’ve had one for over 2 yrs, but they don’t like the lights. They open usually after lights are out.
I feed once a week, along with all the other night feeders like Acans and Chalices. I use the very small pellet food, Coral Frenzy, .50 size. Soak the pellets first, turn off the flow, then feed. Wait 10 mins, and feed again. I mix another solution of Roids, turn powerheads on, broadcast the solution, and wait 30 mins before turning on filtration. Also, if you have time, another hour or so, leave the skimmer off and allow the nutrients to work. I don’t use socks. If you have shrimp they will eat the excess, and try to remove pellets from the coral. These corals will eat a lot. If you keep them in lights, Coraline algae will grow to cover them up and kill them. I break Coraline off regularly, hence why these corals need to be fed regularly.

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are slow to aclimate. I had one once and got rid of it because it ws too much of a pain.

What I suggest it removing it from the tank daily in a small container of tank water.

Try and get a response by putting in some phytoplankton or reefroids or something similar.

After you get a reaction, try laying out some defrosted mysis shrimp on it.

I would expect it to open a little and feed.

Repeat daily for about a week or until it consistently opens when it smells food.
Mine would open when I fed my fish and then I was able to target feed it mysis shrimp a few times a week.

Post a pic if you have any concerns for its health in general.[/QUOTE

Thanks, but how long I should put it away from the aquarium to feed it? For the moment I just food for corals that is like a powder that contains algae, dry meat fish, ...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the best success with NPS by experimenting with flow placement.

Most all of mine are in close to style sps acro flow.
(Mine are next to my acros lol)

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but how long I should put it away from the aquarium to feed it? For the moment I just food for corals that is like a powder that contains algae, dry meat fish, ...
Not too long, give it 10mins and you should see a response. That coral food should be a good start, but try and pick some frozen mysis up, they will recover well off that. Once they are fed, return to the main tank. It will close back up, but don't worry, just repeat the process daily. Eventually they will open during the day when you feed the tank and you can target feed the individual heads a couple times a week.

One other thing worth mentioning, they are not colonies, so each head needs feeding directly.

20171230_185122.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too long, give it 10mins and you should see a response. That coral food should be a good start, but try and pick some frozen mysis up, they will recover well off that. Once they are fed, return to the main tank. It will close back up, but don't worry, just repeat the process daily. Eventually they will open during the day when you feed the tank and you can target feed the individual heads a couple times a week.

One other thing worth mentioning, they are not colonies, so each head needs feeding directly.

20171230_185122.jpg

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oups sorry

I sent it before to write something...

The response to food is for the moment not too high but I have hope that with time it will get better ;)

Here a pic of my sun coral

20180312_202550.jpg

P.Ankler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem... When I started dosing of Red Sea Energy A+B , it opened!

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, if I feed directly my Sun coral with coral food (Dupla Marin) directly into my tank, my briareum neon start to close up :( is that bad for him, or is it also eating?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seen that happen, but haven't used that food.
I have some GSP and it's out all the time, even at night to a lesser extent.

I doubt it's harmful, but I would say you're best off target feeding as apposed to broadcast feeding.

Did you buy that coral food for anything specifically?

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seen that happen, but haven't used that food.
I have some GSP and it's out all the time, even at night to a lesser extent.

I doubt it's harmful, but I would say you're best off target feeding as apposed to broadcast feeding.

Did you buy that coral food for anything specifically?
The food was given to me when I bought the suncoral... to feed it. but I am really confused about this reaction of my briareum

20180312_230255.jpg

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing, if I feed directly my Sun coral with coral food (Dupla Marin) directly into my tank, my briareum neon start to close up :( is that bad for him, or is it also eating?

Probably also eating.

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably also eating.
I hope so, but before I never saw it like that and was continously growing. do not see it has healthy as before since I have the sun coral... :( and that I fed the coral with the coral food :/

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remove the sun coral for now and broadcast it with that food.

Once it has perked up a bit, target feed it mysis shrimp.

What fish do you have and do you feed your nem?

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 anemone fish, and a Tomini Tang fish that I feed with flakes and once a week with frozen food.

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 anemone fish, and a Tomini Tang fish that I feed with flakes and once a week with frozen food.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back