Help! Toadstool Coral dying

nanoShearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Everyone!

I've had this toadstool coral for about a year now. About 4 or 5 months ago, I moved it from my nano tank into my 75 gallon. about 2 or 3 weeks ago, it started developing a hole. I wasn't too concerned since the coral seemed happy. I just assumed it was splitting. But now the polyps haven't come out for 4 days, and it looks like it's dying. Any suggestions to save it? This is one of my favorite corals in my tank.

1582313432062.png

JR55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Everyone!

I've had this toadstool coral for about a year now. About 4 or 5 months ago, I moved it from my nano tank into my 75 gallon. about 2 or 3 weeks ago, it started developing a hole. I wasn't too concerned since the coral seemed happy. I just assumed it was splitting. But now the polyps haven't come out for 4 days, and it looks like it's dying. Any suggestions to save it? This is one of my favorite corals in my tank.

1582313432062.png
Are the polyps like little yellow stars? If so we have the same type and mine will sometimes go for a few days without coming out.

OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the polyps like little yellow stars? If so we have the same type and mine will sometimes go for a few days without coming out.
They bright green stars. I was trying to find a picture with the polyps out, but this is the best I could find. It's in the lower right corner. I've heard of them shedding a kind of skin... I wonder if that's what he's doing?

1582316411632.png

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holes can be caused by something settling in it, they get irritated. Mine is wedged in a corner and was unhappy because it couldn't expand so it started fragging itself till it fit, now I've got a bunch of babies and the parent is back to being happy. They do she'd though. Mine does and sometimes doesn't come out for weeks.

JR55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holes can be caused by something settling in it, they get irritated. Mine is wedged in a corner and was unhappy because it couldn't expand so it started fragging itself till it fit, now I've got a bunch of babies and the parent is back to being happy. They do she'd though. Mine does and sometimes doesn't come out for weeks.
Yes we have the same. I also saw a story about skin shedding. Mine also had a similar dark spot when the polyps were retracted and it turned out to be some kind of foreign matter like some dirt that I was able to clear away using a turkey baster.

OP
OP
nanoShearer

nanoShearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... It sounds like maybe he's just shedding then? I'll let you all know if he comes back out. Thanks for your help!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back