Help!Too much flow for toadstool?

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if this could be a cause of too much flow? Sorry for the poor picture, my toadstool was happy and great up until about a day ago, I've only had it a little over a week, now it's retracted and drooped over to the side, I'll try to attach a video of it in the flow also when it was doing well.

1000006460.jpg

1000006387.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20240105_225658884.TS.mp4
    21.4 MB

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a video or try to show us where is the source of flow.

Toadstools are very moody.
It might be shedding and will stay like that for days / weeks.

But since is very new.. maybe it might be just aclimating.

Are your paramerts fine?

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a video or try to show us where is the source of flow.

Toadstools are very moody.
It might be shedding and will stay like that for days / weeks.

But since is very new.. maybe it might be just aclimating.

Are your paramerts fine?
I tried to add a video I took of when I first got it and it was doing well but for some reason I don't think it posted properly, when I get home from work I'll try to get another video to show how much flow is going, it was definitely enough to keep it moving at a decent speed constantly.

It's a 32.5 gallon fluval flex with a powerhead on each side, I'll try to get a video when I get home.

I'm just not sure what would be causing it to slump over to one side like it is currently, it looks like someone physically bent it in half.

My parameters are stable with no spikes in phosphates/nitrates or anything else, my lighting I also turned down when I added it in to let it acclimate without being overpowered by the light right away.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it might not bring you peace of mind now, but if all parameters are OK, all other corals are fine, water is ok, so this might be something temporary.

My leather closes and reopen the entire day. Recently it stayed 1 entire week closed and slump over one side. Give until Jan 23rd. When they close and shed, they return larger in size. For a young leather like this, I believe it will be the case.

Post again I some days an update!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slumping can be caused by the the way they have grown. I have one that grew sideways on a rock and the only way I can get it facing upwards is to move the rock so the coral faces up. I don't think leathers can really change the direction they face because they can't really move just inflate /delate and extend or retract polyps. They also can be finicky and deflate if bothered and also when molting. I've had them deflate for weeks when molting. Mine are it pretty high flow also, enough to make them move around. Mine extend their polyps more in high flow and it help when they shed. I probably don't keep mine like many people. Mine are also under pretty high light one next to a clam getting over 300 par and the toadstool is fine.

Couple of screen shots from a recent video. I. Keep a few different types of leathers
Screenshot_20240114_093357_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20240114_093306_YouTube.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back