Help!! Turbo snail blocking weirs

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turbo snail is driving me crazy! He keeps blocking the weirs in the middle of the night to my AIO tank. The water level in the back drops because it is being pushed out faster than it is coming in since he is blocking it. So then my ATO dumps a whole bunch of water in my tank that I don’t need. Messes up salinity and fills the tank higher than I want. Anyone have recommendations on something I can put over the weirs so that he doesn’t block as much flow?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try to hollow out or cut a slit in the center of one of these, then slide it over the weirs to stop snails from going in. I havent tried it but I dont see why this wouldnt work. I use the green in my sump to stop chaeto from going into the next chamber and as a bubble trap. Black would probably look the best though, make sure you read the dimensions as you might find it too thick if you dont. I didnt mind as I have tools to cut for however thin I want them, just good to keep in mind before buying if you went this route
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/black-1.html

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there algae on the weirs that it could be eating?
the only thing I can think of is that there is fibre balls on the other side of it that I sometimes find up against the weirs. Could they eat it through the weirs? Maybe I’ll move it to the lower chamber

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can try to hollow out the center of one of these, then slide it over the weirs to stop snails from going in. I havent tried it but I dont see why is wouldnt work. I use the green in my sump to stop chaeto from going into the next chamber and as a bubble trap. Black would probably look the best though, make sure you read the dimensions as you might find it too thick if you dont. I didnt mind as I have tools to cut for however thin I want them, just good to keep in mind before buying if you went this route
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/black-1.html
My turbo doesn’t go in, he just sits on it and sleeps, blocking the flow. I’ll take a look and see if this can be used!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it could eat through the weirs but if the tank is light on algae for it to consume it will try to find food. If you don't have a lot of algae maybe put some nori on a small rock before going to bed. You could even pick the snail up and place it on the nori. If you have a lot of algae in the tank then I'm not sure what you could do :thinking-face:

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it could eat through the weirs but if the tank is light on algae for it to consume it will try to find food. If you don't have a lot of algae maybe put some nori on a small rock before going to bed. You could even pick the snail up and place it on the nori. If you have a lot of algae in the tank then I'm not sure what you could do :thinking-face:
Unfortunately I do have lots of algae because my tank is in the ugly phase right now lol. Maybe I’ll make some eggcrate cube and put it in front of the weirs so if it goes on it, it won’t block flow from the side.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I do have lots of algae because my tank is in the ugly phase right now lol. Maybe I’ll make some eggcrate cube and put it in front of the weirs so if it goes on it, it won’t block flow from the side.
That sounds like a plan. Turbos are great grazers but can be a pain. Mine were continously knocking frags off the rack.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back