HELP! Two raised bumps on new longnose butterfly fish

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased this longnose butterfly and I was able to drop him in the tank but I noticed these two raised bumps. Are they just little nips from other fish at the LFS?

1644716223453.png

1644716233354.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi, can you post pics under white light ?
are fins damaged ?
hard to tell from pic.
need a little more info for the experts... ;)

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, can you post pics under white light ?
are fins damaged ?
hard to tell from pic.
need a little more info for the experts... ;)
Sorry, wish I could. I ended up having to put him in my tank. This morning he is still pretty shy and the bumps seem to have gotten a little bigger. The only way I can describe it looks like two big whiteheads. Almost to the point, I have an urge to want to pop them myself lol.

Besides that fins, color, size all look good. He is very alert but very shy. Trying to give him space to adjust. Seems to try and expand his area a little at a time.

I can't confirm he ate in the morning feeding but he was visibly interested.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok,please try to get pics, maybe flashlight at night? short video ?

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok,please try to get pics, maybe flashlight at night? short video ?
OK I turned all the blue off and managed to get a video. These are probably the best two shots of the marks from the video. I did notice a white tip at the bottom as well. I can post the whole video but its mainly me trying to get him to move to the side.

1644786327599.png

1644786343554.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Tail is Lymphocystis, I dont believe same on body. On body looks like an after-effect when fish come out of copper treatment and develop a type of rash.
Lympho is viral and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet. Give this fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in water same temperature as display tank and see if anything dislodges as this could be an isopod, or Bacterial, FW dip will eliminate all the above if nothing dislodges.
If thats the case an assuming fish is eating, you can give it Seachem Kanaplex or Metro which often clear this up.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail is Lymphocystis, I dont believe same on body. On body looks like an after-effect when fish come out of copper treatment and develop a type of rash.
Lympho is viral and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet. Give this fish a 5 minute freshwater dip in water same temperature as display tank and see if anything dislodges as this could be an isopod, or Bacterial, FW dip will eliminate all the above if nothing dislodges.
If thats the case an assuming fish is eating, you can give it Seachem Kanaplex or Metro which often clear this up.
So if he is eating no need to do a freshwater dip? Kanaplex or Metro should take care of both issues?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree tail looks like Lymphocystis and I wouldn’t worry about that one. Other pimples I have seen on fish at stores but don’t know what it is. Vette guy has a point on that as when I see those spots it’s when copper is used.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, honestly I didn't notice until I got home and I got him from out of town. Do you recommend what Vette mentioned to do?
As of now Vette is the most knowledgeable guy replying. F/w dips can’t hurt health fish and Kanaplex or Metro are mild medication to use. Don’t treat reef with meds and keep tank oxygenated heavy as they can remove oxygen. I add small powerhead at surface or move one to surface to add oxygen. Really need a good id on the pimple spots

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So if he is eating no need to do a freshwater dip? Kanaplex or Metro should take care of both issues?
FW dip would help- curious if anything dislodges. On the meds- Yes

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip would help- curious if anything dislodges. On the meds- Yes
New to saltwater and I am really nervous about a FW dip. He is also very skittish so I know he is super stressed. Can I do the meds and treat and then attempt a FW dip? Or should I do that first?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
New to saltwater and I am really nervous about a FW dip. He is also very skittish so I know he is super stressed. Can I do the meds and treat and then attempt a FW dip? Or should I do that first?
FW dip can add to stress. You make that call but its not as bad as it sounds and requires merely a clean bucket and Freshwater at safe temperature. Adding an airstone will make fish more comfy

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip can add to stress. You make that call but its not as bad as it sounds and requires merely a clean bucket and Freshwater at safe temperature. Adding an airstone will make fish more comfy
Do you think it's a situation where I can give him a day or two to try and get rid of some stress and then attempt? I can order the meds in the meantime as well.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I did a freshwater dip with him! He actually did really well with it. Kept him in there for almost exactly 5 minutes.

1644878989140.png

I tried getting a picture of him out of the water with his spots on his side but picture didnt turn out well.

1644879033848.png

This was him right after. COVERED in white spots. I did notice when I got home from work this afternoon his side looked like it may have started to create another spot but the two spots didnt look as bad. But, his fins did have more white spots than yesterdays post.

1644879132990.png

This was the bowl after I took him out. Obviously the bowl was completely clean before he was in there.

1644879322940.png

What do you recommend next? From my understand the white spots should clear up because they are dead now? Or do I need to do an additional FW dip in the near future? The medicine is arriving tomorrow if you think I should treat the tank. But I do have coral so I will take the advice fishguy mentioned about oxygen.

I also have a video of him right after I added him to the tank if you'd like to see I can upload that.

I wanna do what I can to save him! He is very sweet and gentle. So thank you so much for your advice, I'd imagine that gave him a lot of relief already.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay I did a freshwater dip with him! He actually did really well with it. Kept him in there for almost exactly 5 minutes.

1644878989140.png

I tried getting a picture of him out of the water with his spots on his side but picture didnt turn out well.

1644879033848.png

This was him right after. COVERED in white spots. I did notice when I got home from work this afternoon his side looked like it may have started to create another spot but the two spots didnt look as bad. But, his fins did have more white spots than yesterdays post.

1644879132990.png

This was the bowl after I took him out. Obviously the bowl was completely clean before he was in there.

1644879322940.png

What do you recommend next? From my understand the white spots should clear up because they are dead now? Or do I need to do an additional FW dip in the near future? The medicine is arriving tomorrow if you think I should treat the tank. But I do have coral so I will take the advice fishguy mentioned about oxygen.

I also have a video of him right after I added him to the tank if you'd like to see I can upload that.

I wanna do what I can to save him! He is very sweet and gentle. So thank you so much for your advice, I'd imagine that gave him a lot of relief already.
Great to see good pics. Those are likely flukes that fell off and should have helped the fish.. No doubt fish has ich. Best treatment will be Coppersafe at level of 2.25-2.5 and will require a dependable (not API) test kit to monitor these levels at 80 degrees. Increase aeration during treatment

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see good pics. Those are likely flukes that fell off and should have helped the fish.. No doubt fish has ich. Best treatment will be Coppersafe at level of 2.25-2.5 and will require a dependable (not API) test kit to monitor these levels at 80 degrees. Increase aeration during treatment
I have these Salifert test kits.

1644881319438.png

What should I monitor? Do I also need to bump the temperature to 80 degrees? It's around 73 now. I have two powerheads should I point one up to the surface? I placed an order for Coppersafe and it will be here Wednesday. Do I still need to treat with the Seachem products?

I have a bunch of coral that I would like to keep. Would this be safe with coral? I dont have anything crazy some toadstools and hammers. Should I set up another tank just for him? I'd imagine the ick is probably in the DT now anyways.

Thanks again buddy for all the help!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have these Salifert test kits.

1644881319438.png

What should I monitor? Do I also need to bump the temperature to 80 degrees? It's around 73 now. I have two powerheads should I point one up to the surface? I placed an order for Coppersafe and it will be here Wednesday. Do I still need to treat with the Seachem products?

I have a bunch of coral that I would like to keep. Would this be safe with coral? I dont have anything crazy some toadstools and hammers. Should I set up another tank just for him? I'd imagine the ick is probably in the DT now anyways.

Thanks again buddy for all the help!
PH - Nitrate-Ammonia

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back