OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has become a bacterial infection and needs to be addressed first. If not mentioned. . . Best treatments are :
Kanaplex by Seachem
Neoplex by Seachem
Maracyn 2

*** One of these - Not all three at same time and remember to add aeration during treatment
He was in the copper treatment for about an hour and ended up on it's side. So I think that's the problem. I took him out and put him in a bucket with DT water.

I do not have any saltwater left. I have Kanaplex I can treat with and I can add aeration.

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has become a bacterial infection and needs to be addressed first. If not mentioned. . . Best treatments are :
Kanaplex by Seachem
Neoplex by Seachem
Maracyn 2

*** One of these - Not all three at same time and remember to add aeration during treatment
Sadly, the longnose butterfly has passed away. He tried to hang on as long as he could. I did everything I could and I feel really bad. Seemed like a great fish. Really wish I knew exactly what the problem was. I spent way more than what I spent on him in the few days I had him to try to save him.

Thanks to everyone that tried to help me through. I think if I would have started Kanaplex the moment I got it instead of waiting for the copper it would have had a better chance of survival. But, realistically it was an uphill battle from purchase. Only had him 5 days. I am going to just monitor everything in the DT and I am not going to add a single thing for a few months. Just to make sure everything is okay. For future reference, I will run a quarantine tank with hopes of better success for the future.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper came in today. Made sure temperatures were the same and added the correct dosage and tossed him in.

Before putting him in I noticed he wasn't looking very good overall. The white pimple bumps have seemingly totally opened up to full-on open wounds. He is noticeably less yellow with some unhealthy orange markings on him.

I am really not sure what to make of it. But I guess at this point the copper treatment is still the best route to go? I didn't put any other fish in there yet because he just seems miserable so I wanted to give him some time alone. I am not as concerned about the other fish.

@Jay Hemdal not sure if these updated pictures can give any clearer picture of what may be wrong with these wounds.

Well, sorry, it definitely looks worse. You cannot diagnose Ichthyophonus without careful microscopic examination of the tissue, but clinically, it does look like one of the internal infections. Those don't end well because there is no good way to get the drug to where the infection lays.

Jay

OP
OP
E

elchopo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sorry, it definitely looks worse. You cannot diagnose Ichthyophonus without careful microscopic examination of the tissue, but clinically, it does look like one of the internal infections. Those don't end well because there is no good way to get the drug to where the infection lays.

Jay
Thanks for your help Jay. This is an awesome forum for people like me and it's because of people like you.

I will take what yall taught me in hopes of a more successful story next time!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help Jay. This is an awesome forum for people like me and it's because of people like you.

I will take what yall taught me in hopes of a more successful story next time!

I mean, don't give up, you could try antibiotics. I don't think it is a protozoan disease though.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back