Help w/ Clownfish Hatch Date

SnowDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clowns laid their clutch last Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out if tonight (the following Wednesday night) is the hatch night or if it will be tomorrow. I'm planning to move the eggs to a hatch tank, but don't want to pull them early. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

eduardo22asp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clowns laid their clutch last Wednesday and I'm trying to figure out if tonight (the following Wednesday night) is the hatch night or if it will be tomorrow. I'm planning to move the eggs to a hatch tank, but don't want to pull them early. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Hi,

To be honest depends on the kind of Clownfish... for example my Black Ocellaris takes 10-12 days to hatch. My Clark takes 8 days to hatch. Normally you can consider 8 days, probably tomorrow or next Friday they will hatch.

If you can, take one photo from your eggs, if the eyes are silver they are closer to hatch.

Bye

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, look at the eyes in the eggs is the best way to tell. This is the 8th night right before they hatch that same night:

OP
OP
S

SnowDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. Mine look pretty close to that so I moved the pot to the hatch tank and turned out the lights... Stay tuned :)

OP
OP
S

SnowDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One fry hatched Wednesday night, two or three Thursday night, and the eggs still look OK this morning, so hoping to have them hatch tonight.

OP
OP
S

SnowDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like about two or three dozen hatched last night, but there are still the majority of the eggs that still look OK with silvery eyes. I tinted the water and added rotifers for those that hatched and left the eggs in the tank to see if more hatch tonight.

Is it normal for a clutch to hatch across multiple nights?

eduardo22asp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like about two or three dozen hatched last night, but there are still the majority of the eggs that still look OK with silvery eyes. I tinted the water and added rotifers for those that hatched and left the eggs in the tank to see if more hatch tonight.

Is it normal for a clutch to hatch across multiple nights?

Yes,

It is normal. In the last night my eggs had hatched, but only 70%, the others 30% will be hatched in this night....

One trick: Keep the lights 24h turned on until start the metamorphosis. How many hours in light more feeding the babies will are.

Bye

OP
OP
S

SnowDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do Still turn out the lights tonight so the rest of the eggs hatch?

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, they only hatch when it's pitch dark. "Usually" 90% of them hatch at the same night. Maybe your room has some light even at night?

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you shine a flashlight on them on hatchnight, they won't hatch - even with the tank lights on, don't do that. The higher the tank temp, the faster they hatch. 7-8 days is typical for Ocellaris and percula.

OP
OP
S

SnowDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did shine a red flashlight on them so that probably caused problems. I've been reading that Maroons sometimes take a day or two longer to hatch. But she is not laying on a very consistent schedule, every 11 days.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back