Help w/Green Powder Algae on glass

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is around 6 months old and I understand I am in the ugly stage of things. I have been dealing with this alage in my tank for a month now and am not sure how to move past it. I cycled the rock in a brute can for 4 months then added it to the tank 2 months ago. When I scrape the alage off the glass it starts to build back up within a half hour. My tank water is also cloudy as well. Could this be algae bloom in the water column?
I have a refugium that looks healthy and is growing under a kessil h380 light. Last time I checked No3 was 0 and Po4 was 0. This is not where I want these levels so I cut back the refugium lighting time down to 4 hours a night. It is my goal to keep No3 between 1-5 and Po4 between 0.01-0.05. Any thoughts.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six months should be past the ugly stages. Try several large water changes over the course of a week to ten days. Certainly N & P cannot be 0 if green algae sorts are showing up. GFO in a reactor is the quickest way to drop Phosphates, in a mesh bags works a little slower but the granules take less time to exhaust. Organic carbon dosing or additional rock in the sump can help increase the bacterial population. Increase the light on the fuge to allow the macro there to outcompete the algae forming in the tank.

Dimmy007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is around 6 months old and I understand I am in the ugly stage of things. I have been dealing with this alage in my tank for a month now and am not sure how to move past it. I cycled the rock in a brute can for 4 months then added it to the tank 2 months ago. When I scrape the alage off the glass it starts to build back up within a half hour. My tank water is also cloudy as well. Could this be algae bloom in the water column?
I have a refugium that looks healthy and is growing under a kessil h380 light. Last time I checked No3 was 0 and Po4 was 0. This is not where I want these levels so I cut back the refugium lighting time down to 4 hours a night. It is my goal to keep No3 between 1-5 and Po4 between 0.01-0.05. Any thoughts.

What test kits are you using for n & p. I always thought mine were at 0 until I used nyos for nitrate and got a ulr phosphate checker from Hannah. Now I have correct readings on both.

OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using for n & p. I always thought mine were at 0 until I used nyos for nitrate and got a ulr phosphate checker from Hannah. Now I have correct readings on both.
I’m using Red Sea pro for nitrate. Hanna ULR for phosphate.

OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six months should be past the ugly stages. Try several large water changes over the course of a week to ten days. Certainly N & P cannot be 0 if green algae sorts are showing up. GFO in a reactor is the quickest way to drop Phosphates, in a mesh bags works a little slower but the granules take less time to exhaust. Organic carbon dosing or additional rock in the sump can help increase the bacterial population. Increase the light on the fuge to allow the macro there to outcompete the algae forming in the tank.
I agree. My nutrients can’t be at 0 if I am getting this green powder algae growth. But my biggest concern is if I run to my GFO or run my refugium light to long it could drop my nutrient levels to a true zero and I could get a Dino outbreak. I tore my last tank down from fighting dinos off and on for a year. I’m just lost at this point. Would a UV sterilizer work?

DrBrownThumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food are you feeding? This same exact thing started happening to me after using reef chili to try and get the nutrients up. Started just dosing nitrates directly instead and it’s starting to calm down.

OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food are you feeding? This same exact thing started happening to me after using reef chili to try and get the nutrients up. Started just dosing nitrates directly instead and it’s starting to calm down.
I only feed LRS

DrBrownThumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s everything I did to correct the same exact issue you have: turned the temp down to 77, started dosing microbacter7, cranked up the fuge light, replaced the gfo, and fed less coral food. Judging by the skimmate, it was likely the microbacter that had the most effect. Went from low amounts of dark green to lots of light tea color. Algae calmed down within 3 days.

OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s everything I did to correct the same exact issue you have: turned the temp down to 77, started dosing microbacter7, cranked up the fuge light, replaced the gfo, and fed less coral food. Judging by the skimmate, it was likely the microbacter that had the most effect. Went from low amounts of dark green to lots of light tea color. Algae calmed down within 3 days.
How much microbacter 7 did you dose and was a one time dose? I don’t feed any coral food. I will definitely up the fuge light.

DrBrownThumb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed as the bottle recommended. One capful per 25g for the first week. Then just a weekly maintenance after that. I just put a squirt in every week now. Only have a 50g.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae spores consume ammonia to mature into algae, which consumes nitrates.

You're winning the nitrate battle, but losing the ammonia battle

OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae spores consume ammonia to mature into algae, which consumes nitrates.

You're winning the nitrate battle, but losing the ammonia battle
I read the ammonia article earlier this week. I guess I still am lost when it comes to this concept

Willvi100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently facing the same issue, i did a 50 percent water change and reduced my white lights and increased my blues . I spoke with my local refers and they advised to feed a little more . Apparently my nitrates are to low . I’m starting to notice a difference. Improvement

Willvi100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently facing the Sam issue , I have decreased my whites and increased my blue lights , my local reefers also advised to feed a little more . Apparently my nitrates are too low. I have notice improvement.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back