HELP! WHAT CHANGE QUESTION

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just finished my first water change, but I'm about 1.5-2 gallons short of new fresh saltwater. My current salt is reading 1.027 with a refractometer.
Can I just add 1.5-2 gallon of RO/DI fresh water to make up the difference or should I mix 2 gallons which is what I'm in the middle of now at a slightly lower salinity which is at 1.020?

HELP!!! AND THANK YOU!!

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your original salinity? Yes add fresh and take out saltwater or tank water to get it down to 1.025sg
D
Current salt is 1.027 . So if I add 2 gallons of fresh ro/did water will it dilute my saltwater and lower it? Also, can I use the 2 gallons I'm mixing right now that is currently at 1.020?

Thank you!

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your salinity was 1.025 on Monday and now it is 1.027 after a slightly short water change then you need to be more careful in your water preparation.
Aiming to maintain stability is the absolute key in this hobby, even if your tank is only a week old.

If you're sure that your remaining water is at 1.020 it will help to bring the parameters back to where you started but it may need further (gentle) adjustment.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the tank to be honest. in a 10G tank if you were a couple gallons short, it will significantly lower your salinity. If it were a 100G tank it would be just fine.

Again it all depends on tank size, but more then likely you would be fine adding just fresh water to make up the difference.

OP
OP
F

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm good now. Added about 1.5 gallons +/- of Fresh RO/DI water and been running the pumps for a couple hours now. Just tested salinity and perfect at 1.026
Thank you all for the awesome help and quick replies I appreciate it.

wiktor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just finished my first water change, but I'm about 1.5-2 gallons short of new fresh saltwater. My current salt is reading 1.027 with a refractometer.
Can I just add 1.5-2 gallon of RO/DI fresh water to make up the difference or should I mix 2 gallons which is what I'm in the middle of now at a slightly lower salinity which is at 1.020?

HELP!!! AND THANK YOU!!
you’ll be fine with 1.027 water but adding straight is just fine. Make sure filter is running so fish/coral don’t just get blasted with pure RO but you’ll be fine. When i get evaporation issues i only top up with ro to maintain salt

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back