Help!! What is this?

Coral.Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue tang developed these suddenly I want to say overnight! Ate well at the last feed and is happy to be out and about. My first thought was Ich but looking at the gash near the eye it seems like it could have gotten stung by some coral or digitate hydroids / bit by my clown or some other other injury…probably could use some help..

Had to turn up the whites on my tank in the evening to capture the video..so the fish are little confused…

Attachments

• IMG_6090.mov
    41.9 MB
OP
OP
C

Coral.Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go..

Attachments

• IMG_6093.jpeg
    IMG_6093.jpeg
    616.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6092.jpeg
    IMG_6092.jpeg
    889.5 KB · Views: 41

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My blue tang developed these suddenly I want to say overnight! Ate well at the last feed and is happy to be out and about. My first thought was Ich but looking at the gash near the eye it seems like it could have gotten stung by some coral or digitate hydroids / bit by my clown or some other other injury…probably could use some help..

Had to turn up the whites on my tank in the evening to capture the video..so the fish are little confused…
This appears to be an injury of some sort. Do you have an urchin in the tank?
If not, as you may notice, they tend to hang in rocks and can easily injure themselves. Keep an eye on area for infection which will appear red/sore . You may want to have Seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 on hand just in case of infection.

OP
OP
C

Coral.Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a blue tuxedo urchin! Re: medication, are Kanaplex or maracyn 2 considered broad medications that could resolve a variety of issues or are they specifically for healing injuries. Only have Prazipro on hand at this time and am thinking probably good to keep a couple utility copper free treatments on hand. This might be the impetus to get some.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I see a variety of spots on the fish - various shapes and sizes. Some are scrape marks, but others, I cannot rule out as not being ich.

How long have you had the fish?
When was the last fish you added to the tank?
Were the fish quarantined?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added him about 2 weeks ago…I was advised he was in QT before being sold at the LFS.

It could have ich mixed in with other scrapes, etc. Watch for spots that look like grains of salt, that come and go and change location day to day, and generally increase in number - those are more likely to be ich.

Jay

OP
OP
C

Coral.Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok will keep an eye out for that.. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 I know Kanaplex and Maracyn 2 were noted earlier…Will keeping ruby reef kick ich and rally on hand be a good idea…unfortunately don’t have a hospital tank..so am restricted to copper-free broad based medications

OP
OP
C

Coral.Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share a quick update on this...the tang self healed in a couple of days and is now back to usual self. Have not observed any signs of IcH. He did seem to develop a pop eye for a day or so which also healed by itself. Thanks All!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back