Help what is this??

fergieman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1B4A4280-874D-47D0-8D69-DE9DD8C207A8.jpeg

Anyone know what that green bubble thing is on the skeleton of my hammer coral?

thank you

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loos like Bubble Algae...couple ways to go. A product called Vibrant (it's over touted on being able to do everything, but it really takes care of bubble algae well and is my go to for it). Or more natural is emerald crabs as they seem to eat this - I won't put a crab in my tank so that's up to you.

If this is all in your tank, you can manually remove first. Be careful on manual removal. Bursting a bubble releases spores? - whatever it is that make baby bubble algae. I've found good success in using really narrow tweazers at the base while holding a siphon hose to suck the bubbles into a bucket very close.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae. If it's confined to that frag, I'd just pull the frag, pop them off manually, rinse good, then put the frag back. That coral is just about a goner though so you may have some more pressing issues going on in your tank other than bubble algae.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh should say - bubble algae is one of the easier to eliminate and less damaging nuisance algae. It's very unlikely to be the cause of the "other" issues @Cell and I see (now that I'm looking at the whole picture).

OP
OP
F

fergieman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loos like Bubble Algae...couple ways to go. A product called Vibrant (it's over touted on being able to do everything, but it really takes care of bubble algae well and is my go to for it). Or more natural is emerald crabs as they seem to eat this - I won't put a crab in my tank so that's up to you.

If this is all in your tank, you can manually remove first. Be careful on manual removal. Bursting a bubble releases spores? - whatever it is that make baby bubble algae. I've found good success in using really narrow tweazers at the base while holding a siphon hose to suck the bubbles into a bucket very close.
Thank you Quiteman. Appreciate the reply

OP
OP
F

fergieman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae. If it's confined to that frag, I'd just pull the frag, pop them off manually, rinse good, then put the frag back. That coral is just about a goner though so you may have some more pressing issues going on in your tank other than bubble algae.
Thanks and thanks for the observation too that skeleton has 3 heads but that one is not popping out like the others. Double checking my water parameters.

Back