Help! What is wrong with my Royal Gramma

newreeferontheblock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this gramma for 2 weeks - no strange behavior (well, not strange for a Gramma :) ), seems to be eating fine and very active. However I have noticed discoloration in the middle of his body. Under blue light it looks a bit like a grey sheen, but under white light it is a bit more of a mix of grey/brown. Attaching some pictures, but he refuses to keep still...

EDIT: Video as well:

IMG-8321e.jpg
IMG-8319e.jpg
IMG-8325e.jpg
IMG-8322e.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are not super clear, but the two common causes for this would be flukes or tankmate aggression. Have you seen the gramma do any flashing/scratching? What other fish are in with it? Is it eating o.k.?

Jay

OP
OP
N

newreeferontheblock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eating fine - I feed a mix of frozen Mysis and pellets depending on the day and goes after both. Additionally, I see it pecking on pods throughout the day.

No overt flashing, however I did notice last night it get close (side by side) with the PJ Cardinal (like it was trying to cuddle as weird as that sounds) who is its only other tank mate. Not really aggressive at all (will occasionally chase the gramma away from a spot but never continues the pursuit)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a similar discoloration on its left side? Aside from the paleness, the fish looks fine in the video. Gramma are notorious for turning pale in captivity, but that would show up on both sides.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back