Help.. why is my reefer so loud??

AvaS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I just set up my new Red Sea reefer nano. I love the tank and am excited for it to become full of corals. I am just curious why it isn’t running super noisy. It sounds like a draining rumbling dish washer. I am running a brand new sicce 2.0 return. This is a picture of the tank and the sump. I tried adding like 3 more gallons of water to see if it was because of low water levels but it did not resolve the noise. Normally I wouldn’t care but the tank is in my living room so it can’t be too loud to here the TV lol. Please Let me know if you have experienced this issue or how to resolve it .
-Ava

CE69DD3A-54C0-47C5-B0D4-540588DB46FE.jpeg

9E80F95B-B705-46F1-A6C4-DCC9F692EE1F.jpeg

7FF58CC8-E4A5-4CAC-8373-EA9EECCCC7ED.jpeg

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put something near the drain Lines like poly filler to break the water cascading into the sump?

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to adjust the gate valve on the downpipe until the water level in the overflow is lower than the larger drain and higher than the smaller drain. Should be dead silent once it's dialed in. Keep in mind it can take a couple of min for the water level to change after moving the valve so give it some time.

OP
OP
A

AvaS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to adjust the gate valve on the downpipe until the water level in the overflow is lower than the larger drain and higher than the smaller drain. Should be dead silent once it's dialed in. Keep in mind it can take a couple of min for the water level to change after moving the valve so give it some time.

Sorry for the noob question but is the gate valve the big black box on the pipe in the sump that says Red Sea on it lol. If so how do I adjust it? Thanks for the help btw

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the noob question but is the gate valve the big black box on the pipe in the sump that says Red Sea on it lol. If so how do I adjust it? Thanks for the help btw

No that’s your return pump

Ebslinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer Nano also and know it can be sort of a pain.

However, if you adjust the dial valve on the drain "Slowly as in several days" it can be nearly silent.

Step 1) Find ideal flow for your return pump

Step 2) slow returning water speed to avoid a venturi

Step 3) if water is going into the over flow and causing a "gurgling" sound, return to step 1

Hope this helps, took me a few weeks to find an ideal medium.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes it is. Counterclockwise will lower the level in the overflow and clockwise will raise it. Take the cover off and see where your water level is to determine which way to start adjusting it. Don't move it more than 1/8 of a turn at a time. Wait 1-2 min between turns.

Also make sure the flow on that pump it all the way up. That's not a super powerful pump so it will need to be fully open.

OP
OP
A

AvaS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is. Counterclockwise will lower the level in the overflow and clockwise will raise it. Take the cover off and see where your water level is to determine which way to start adjusting it. Don't move it more than 1/8 of a turn at a time. Wait 1-2 min between turns.

Also make sure the flow on that pump it all the way up. That's not a super powerful pump so it will need to be fully open.
This what the gate valve looks like on my friends Red Sea reefer.

A31B3628-AD62-48AA-A056-04A93F5FBCAE.jpeg
I have a Red Sea Reefer Nano also and know it can be sort of a pain.

However, if you adjust the dial valve on the drain "Slowly as in several days" it can be nearly silent.

Step 1) Find ideal flow for your return pump

Step 2) slow returning water speed to avoid a venturi

Step 3) if water is going into the over flow and causing a "gurgling" sound, return to step 1

Hope this helps, took me a few weeks to find an ideal medium.
Thanks guys!! Tomorrow morning I am going to slowly adjust the water level in the overflow using the gate valve to make it higher than the lowest pipe but lower than the the highest one and also make sure the sicce is all the way up. I will update one I try in the morning and let you know!

Sparkymarc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on gate valve. Took a little time for me to dial in. Sometimes it depends on where you point your power heads because the overflow will make that draining noise if you’re pushing water into the overflow

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. It can be pretty tedious and small adjustments may go a long way. On other reefers, large adjustments are needed. Once dialed-in it’s good for a good while typically :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back