Help wiring DIY LEDs to Apex Neptune....

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So. I have 180 leds and 15 drivers running 12 each.

9 are for Royal Blue
3 are for Cool white
3 are for High Noon effect

I get my two cables tomorrow to run these to my Apex to dim/control them and I'm having trouble envisioning how to wire them.

Any suggestions? anyone done this recently? Any help is appreciated!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you have the meanwell 60-48d drivers???? If so it's pretty simple just use the brown and blue wires off the driver and hook them to the dimming cables on the apex... You will want 3 channels obviously so tie all the royal blue drivers together, all the cool whites to a separate and the high noon to a third.... If that makes sense it's very simple... Now programming the apex to run them gets confusing haha...:tongue:

OP
OP
Rskillz

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you have the meanwell 60-48d drivers???? If so it's pretty simple just use the brown and blue wires off the driver and hook them to the dimming cables on the apex... You will want 3 channels obviously so tie all the royal blue drivers together, all the cool whites to a separate and the high noon to a third.... If that makes sense it's very simple... Now programming the apex to run them gets confusing haha...:tongue:

I have those drivers Troy but don't you mean the blue and white cables? The blue and brown are the power leads I'm pretty sure. The four wire side has the leads for the LEDS and dimmer cables. I THINK. lol

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your prolly right lol.... Haha have to look at mine again.... I just did it like 3 weeks ago but with so much going on I forget easily...:hammer: bill has it on his site reefledlights in detail if ya get confused...

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the pics of this bad boy? Sorry I'm not any help but it sounds awesome and I just thought maybe some pics would help the rest of us guys learn

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue and white are for dimming. You have hook up to each port. So I would do 4 on port a 3 on port 2 (FOR BLUE) and port 3/4 for your white.

Also to save you much room I would do parallel wiring to save you the room by not using so many different drivers. By doing this you can run 24 LEDS per driver.

Also what may help you is hooking everything with a project box. I did mine this way and I had burned a driver out by mistake and made it SO MUCH easier to replace.

5th picture down is the project box I made for my fixture.
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/led-lighting-specific/59305-snoopies-led-build.html

OP
OP
Rskillz

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a lot of pictures but I've been too busy. here is a quick shot of one of the units. I have 3 to go over my 180gallon. Each has 60 3watt Crees. I'm mounting the drivers on the back of the heat sink along with 4 fans per unit.

IMG_2306.jpg

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful. That's a lot of light you are going to be putting over your 180. Do you have a PAR meter?

CJ

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a lot of pictures but I've been too busy. here is a quick shot of one of the units. I have 3 to go over my 180gallon. Each has 60 3watt Crees. I'm mounting the drivers on the back of the heat sink along with 4 fans per unit.

IMG_2306.jpg
holy crap!!!!!!!!! i have 144 on my 180 and i can't run it over 40 percent without bleaching my sticks...... i dont think you will ever get that thing over 30 percent for the first 6 months...:hammer:

OP
OP
Rskillz

Rskillz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope no PAR meter. I'll be super careful to slowly acclimate the tank and I'll keep a very close eye on all my corals for the first sign of stress/bleaching. Should have it all done in the next few days!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back