Help with a malfunctioning protein skimmer (Deltec SC1455)

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try cleaning the filter socks to see if that causes any kind of immediate reaction a bit later. If that doesn't do anything then I'm going to proceed with a deep clean of both the skimmer body, pump assembly and the Venturi / down pipe.

All I can think is that maybe something is intermittently clogging the Venturi line somehow.

I'll report back with an update shortly.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to try cleaning the filter socks to see if that causes any kind of immediate reaction a bit later. If that doesn't do anything then I'm going to proceed with a deep clean of both the skimmer body, pump assembly and the Venturi / down pipe.

All I can think is that maybe something is intermittently clogging the Venturi line somehow.

I'll report back with an update shortly.

I get quite a bit of salt creep in the venturi but I've never had it do what yours is doing. I tear down and clean the skimmer every other month.

Ryan420r6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer was last cleaned around 3 months ago.

Oh snap. Well I would take it out and take it apart to see if there is anything mechanically wrong with the unit or something isn’t set up correctly. Is there anyone that can help you or maybe your lfs since the company is giving you the cold shoulder?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to post this to the Battlecorals forum. Adam sells Deltec only and knows his stuff. He might be able to help you out. Personally I think it is either the venturi is getting clogged or you have a bad pump. I had a skimmer that developed deposits in the venturi part that attaches to the pump. There was no way to take that piece apart so they stayed in there. Every so often they would stick in the venturi hole and that would cause the water level to rise in the skimmer because there was no air mixing with it and it would overflow the skimmer cup.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else I do is push the motor block all the way forward it its seat (pushing the venturi out of the main body). Not sure it makes any difference but it's what I do.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec is telling me to bathe the Venturi assembly in muriatic acid.

Not really sure how I feel about soaking plastic in hardcore acid.

Either way everything is going to get a deep clean tonight.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deltec is telling me to bathe the Venturi assembly in muriatic acid.

Not really sure how I feel about soaking plastic in hardcore acid.

Either way everything is going to get a deep clean tonight.

Muriatic acid is far from hardcore and comes in plastic bottles...

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 part vinegar and 10 parts water will clean it just fine, too. No reason to jump to the acid if you're nervous at all about it. How dense is your bio load for the tank? Do you feed heavy or light?

1. The over flow is most likely happening because the downward pressure of the proteins on the bubbles is lighter than the skimmer is rated for. The volute shouldn't really have an affect on this, but I'm not confident enough to rule it out 100%. Just very unlikely.
2. Epoxies will certainly cause skimmer issues like you're seeing.
3. So will messing with Filter Socks.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic acid is far from hardcore and comes in plastic bottles...

Not all plastics are the same, and it still requires the use of protective gear.

Ive already got vinegar in the house so I'll probably use that and just let it soak for a little while longer.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 part vinegar and 10 parts water will clean it just fine, too. No reason to jump to the acid if you're nervous at all about it. How dense is your bio load for the tank? Do you feed heavy or light?

1. The over flow is most likely happening because the downward pressure of the proteins on the bubbles is lighter than the skimmer is rated for. The volute shouldn't really have an affect on this, but I'm not confident enough to rule it out 100%. Just very unlikely.
2. Epoxies will certainly cause skimmer issues like you're seeing.
3. So will messing with Filter Socks.

I think for the best results, and to rule everything out that I can. I'll 1. Proceed with cleaning the whole skimmer top to bottom. And 2. Removing the filter socks entirely for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use vinegar 50/50 with no problems that being said muriatic acid used outdoors is not that much of an issue. It's probably the best thing to dissolve carbonates and very quickly. I grew up in South Florida which means a ton of pools and a ready supply of it. We used to mess around with it as kids, it'll dissolve a clam shell in minutes. Just work upwind of in and remember do as you ought a add acid to water.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battery acid in my experience burns the skin faster and high ph hydroxides are way worse. If you get it on you flush with water.

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for the best results, and to rule everything out that I can. I'll 1. Proceed with cleaning the whole skimmer top to bottom. And 2. Removing the filter socks entirely for a couple of weeks to see what happens.

A quick 2 cents to add to this. Try and keep note of anytime you're working with epoxy in the tank as well. That's the other big culprit for overflows.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean 2-part epoxy hasnt affected my Deltec unless I used a lot of it (e.g. 1/3 stick or more).

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I just finished cleaning the skimmer inside and out.
I did a 2 hour hot water and vinegar soak, scrubbed everything down, blew out the venturi line. The whole thing basically looks brand new.
I also cleaned out the entire skimmer chamber of leftover debris and sand.
Now with all that being said, nothing was clearing obstructing the venturi line, which means I'm not super hopeful that this will work.
I'm beginning the break in now (water level in the skimmer is starting out very low as recommended by the manufacturer.)
I'll report back with any problems that I have with the skimmer over the next week. If it's still working by then I'll assume it's all fixed up and I just wasn't doing my regular maintenance.

MVIMG_20181009_175253.jpg

MVIMG_20181009_193245.jpg

MVIMG_20181009_194125.jpg

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 1 after the cleaning and everything appears to be running normally.
However, notice how the skimmer appears to be pulling skimmate out and bubbles are almost near the top of the neck and yesterday I started it out almost as low as I could.

MVIMG_20181010_175739.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean bubbles at top of neck? The collection cup looks normal in your picture.

OP
OP
Beepinheimer

Beepinheimer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean bubbles at top of neck? The collection cup looks normal in your picture.

Right yesterday I had the valve adjusted so that basically the amount of water it was pulling in was set to a minimum.
Today it's way up compared to where it was previously.
It's probably just from the break in but just thought I should make note of that.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right yesterday I had the valve adjusted so that basically the amount of water it was pulling in was set to a minimum.
Today it's way up compared to where it was previously.
It's probably just from the break in but just thought I should make note of that.

Are you talking about the water level in the down tube? Cant see from your pick but it looks like it's fairly low.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back