Help with a simple 6g nano Setup!

camilenoel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I work at an aquarium store and have lots of saltwater experience but I’ve never taken the plunge into reefing. At home I have a 20g salt tank with a pair of clowns, a lawnmower blenny, a cleaner goby and some inverts. That tank is well established and has been going strong for almost 3 years now.

We have this maroon clownfish in store right now that has been here for almost 8 months and is evil. He attacks anyone who tries to clean his tank and he killed a couple friends before I gave up on trying to keep anyone else with him. I’m obsessed with his tiny evil self and I want to bring him home but I obviously don’t want to risk my well established fish in my 20g. I think he would be perfect in a little nano reef and it got me thinking.

I have a 6g rimless cube at home that I would love to convert into a little nano reef for him. I figure I have enough saltwater experience to keep a little reef and then I can bring home little evil and he isn’t just destined to die in the fish store or go to a home where he will kill everyone. I would like to keep this tank as low tech and as low maintenance as possible with some easy corals and him. I’m also trying to spend as little as possible on this setup at least to get it started because I’ve already been sinking money into a work in progress 75g.

I’ve seen a lot of great low maintenance tanks with built in filter boxes but I would really try and use what I have so my question is, what is the simplest and most cost efficient way I can set up this tank to be as self sufficient as possible?

I’ve seen lots of people have success with minimal water changes and no dosing or using Tropic Marin’s All for reef as the only additive.

My plan for this tank is to have it be a nice low maintenance desk tank where my evil incarnate clownfish can live a nice life among lots of gorgeous corals.

I’ve also heard that a more blue forward light helps keep pests at bay and keep the tank cleaner so I’d love affordable light recommendations also.

Please let me know what kind of corals and filtration you’d recommend in this case!

Thanks!

LiLinka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used light like a kessil a80 or an ai prime would work, you can find those on ebay. If u really want extremely low maintnence, just throw a dosing pump on there and setup an automatic water change of a gallon every day or so. then all u gotta do is throw in some snails and throw in some easy soft corals and your money pretty much.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am running something like this now. Fluval Evo5 and I have a Maroon Lightening. He isn't really aggressive but seems happy in the little tank. He likes to host a corner of my tank. I would look at this for lighting,

hygger 30 Watts Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED Fish Tank Light Saltwater Nano Aquarium LPS SPS Lighting https://a.co/d/hlwSRHz

Message me on Instagram and I will go through the details of what I have been using but its super low maintenance. @littlesaltyreef

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back