Help with Acanthurus pyroferus (Lemonpeel Mimic Tang) - Rapid Breathing Loss of Appetite

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey R2R Team,

Picked up a 3" A. pyroferus on Sunday, and added the fish to the 20g QT tank, where I was planning on beginning prophylactic treatment for ich and general parasites in several days. Along with pair of clowns 1.5" Yellow Eye Cole Tang, and pair of Oscellaris. No apparent ailments in any fish - all have excellent appetite.

QT consists of Penguin Bio-wheel filter, air stone & pump, Seio powerhead for circulation. Had been running 1/3 cup of fresh carbon in tank up until last night.

Added fish, and day 1 no issues and good appetite.

Day 2, slightly rapid breathing, good appetite.

Day 3 (last night) noted frequency of gill movement had increased, and fish looked thin (but not emaciated). Likely has been thin, but perhaps did not notice in store or on day 1/2. At this point, fish is still eating.

No external signs of ich or velvet, however thought flukes may be causing rapid breathing.

Checked ammonia @ 0 ppm.

Dosed to 2 x recommended dosage for Prazipro, and begain treatment by adding 5ml of Coppersafe medication. Added 5ml of Coppersafe this morning.

Today came home and fed fish frozen Emerald Entree (Mysis/Algae) soaked in General Cure - all fish eating with gusto - except new addition w/ zero interest in food. Also tried unmedicated pellets and unmedicated flakes. Will try some unmedicated Emerald Entree later. Noted continued rapid breathing.

At this point I would be grateful for some direction from the pros. The fish is still swimming about, but slow, and with pauses. Seems fairly alert, and reacts to my presence and movement of other fish. Curious if I should continue with medication treatment despite loss of appetite (again, no external symptoms), or if I should discontinue treatment in hopes the fish begins eating again. Or perhaps additional/different course of treatment.

Please let me know your thoughts, and thank you for taking the time to read.

Nathan

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed to 2 x recommended dosage for Prazipro, and begain treatment by adding 5ml of Coppersafe medication. Added 5ml of Coppersafe this morning.

Today came home and fed fish frozen Emerald Entree (Mysis/Algae) soaked in General Cure
That's an awful lot of praziquantel both contain prazi. If what you posted is correct you've overdosed the praziquantel. Prazipro uses oxybispropanol to keep the praziquantel in solution in the bottle. Problem is that it absorbs/uses O2 from the water column to the point where the fish is deprived of O2. The way to counteract this problem is to use both a powerhead aimed up at the surface where it is actively rippling the surface of the water, and to use an airstone or foam bubble filter. Combined they help offset the shortage of O2.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Big G, thank you for the reply here, it is very helpful. I do have an air stone (back right) of QT. I have typically dosed double with Prazi with no observed effects.

I did complete a 25% water change this evening. With the water change, I redosed the Copper but not the Prazi. I could do another water change if the additional Prazi is causing issues. Would you let me know your thoughts on this?.

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prazi has finished its work within 24-48 hours.
Many of us dose prazi or General Cure. Then wait 5-7 days, do a 25% water change and then do the second dose. Wait 5-7 days, do a 25% water change. Observe for 7-10 days. There are prazi resistant flukes out there and sometimes a complete second go around is needed.
Hope this helps a bit. Beautiful fish.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 45 39.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 59 51.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back