Help with Aiptasia

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some good ways to remove smaller aiptasia? I’m not sure what to do at this point, I have some smaller aiptasia, around the size of a penny maybe smaller, and I’m not sure how to get rid of them. I would prefer creatures, as I have a little too many for manual removal, any ideas or suggestions?

IanK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste well

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are mixed reviews, but I've had success with matted file fish (or aptasia eating file fish). Initially, I saw no decline in aptasia after adding two of these guys to my 125. After a couple of months, they suddenly eliminated all of the aptasia, and I haven't seen any since. That has been well over a year ago.

It's reported that they will nip at corals, and I suspect that mine are bothering my acans. My acans are muddling through, and I haven't seen any damage to my SPS or softies, so I'm pretty happy. Just something you might consider.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, my tank is a 20 gallon long, not sure if that is big enough for an aiptasia eating filefish? I’m sure my lfs would let me return it though. I have heard about Berghia but not sure where to get them from, also don’t want them dieing after they eat all the aiptasia.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, my tank is a 20 gallon long, not sure if that is big enough for an aiptasia eating filefish? I’m sure my lfs would let me return it though. I have heard about Berghia but not sure where to get them from, also don’t want them dieing after they eat all the aiptasia.
Saltyunderground.com is where many here get them. I've purchased from them and wasn't disappointed.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright will check it out, thanks.
If you have any clubs in the area or know another local reefer you could switch between tanks with someone. Once they eliminate all your aiptasia it can go in your buddies tank and vice versa. They only live 10 to 12 months, but if you get 2 they may breed.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I was just lucky - the "real" peppermint shrimp eliminated mine. Do a search here and you'll find several different strategies to experiment with

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two peppermint shrimp and they ate all the aiptasia in my tank the very first night I had them. Haven't seen a single aiptasia since... I did not have a bad problem though... I only had like 4 or 5 small aiptasia in my tank when I bought the shrimp. Gone in 1 night with the shrimp. paid $8 ea for them from the lfs. Quick and easy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back