Help with Anemone and Reef Tank

scooter44111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am just starting to make the transition to a reef tank from a fish only tank. All my fish are reef safe and I would like to get some anemones and corals in. The tank is 65gallons and has been running for 3 years. In preparation for reefing I added a 20gallon tank as a sump/refugium which grows chaeto, I also have a protein skimmer in the sump. I also added 30lbs of rock (white pieces) in late November.

The current parameters of the tank are:
temp - 76.5
pH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 7.9
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <1
specific gravity - 1.024

I introduced this bubble tip anemone (attached pictures) to the tank 2 weeks ago. I drip acclimated it for about 4 hours and turned off all circulation pumps besides the sump return. The anemone quickly settled on a piece of live rock and over the next 3 days I slowly brought the flow back up to where it currently is. The anemone around the 3 day mark started to move across the rocks but we notices its tentacles receded to the state they currently are. I was hoping it was due to it moving but it has be stationary for about a week now and the tentacles have not expanded back out to the length we purchased it at (about 2inches). I am not sure what to do because it its current placement (bottom side of the live rock) it is not getting any light and I am unable to feed it. The lighting are 2 LED strips (36inches) one blue one beauty max.

Any suggestions on what to do or what might be going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anemone 1.jpg Anemone 2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You are rushing. Coral should not go in until tank established and stable. Anemone for sure not until very stable as new tanks are subject to ammonia-nitrate-alk spikes and changes in water chemistry
Additionally, what test kits are you using?
You want reliable test results as tank is maturing.
Things that can make anemone unhappy:
- Too much light making it hide or too little light also making move or climb. Too much flow making it move to neutral zone
- high salinity
- high phosphate
- improper acclimation

biggest factor- not a good choice for new tank

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow nitrate to come up a little. I run mine around 5-10. Allows some nutrients in the water for food. Unless you see the anemone melting do not get hands on with it.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 3 years running, your tank is Mature enough. That isn't the issue here (if there is one)

My anenomes do best with alk North of 8.5 and at least 10 ppm nitrates.

You don't Need to feed your nem. Especially when it isn't settled and comfortable. External feeding only ads another layer of stress which doesn't need to be there at this time.

The foot does look a little inflated and wonky but that could just be that it isn't settled yet.

Try to get some nutrients in the water. Raise pH up a bit and watch it.

Like Jekyl mentioned above, having Cipro on hand is a good thing when dealing with nems.

OP
OP
S

scooter44111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are rushing. Coral should not go in until tank established and stable. Anemone for sure not until very stable as new tanks are subject to ammonia-nitrate-alk spikes and changes in water chemistry
Additionally, what test kits are you using?
You want reliable test results as tank is maturing.
Things that can make anemone unhappy:
- Too much light making it hide or too little light also making move or climb. Too much flow making it move to neutral zone
- high salinity
- high phosphate
- improper acclimation

biggest factor- not a good choice for new tank
Thank you for the reply. What is the standard timeframe for a tank to be established to become a reef? My water quality has been pretty stable at those parameters for over a year now and running for over 3 years. I made the assumption that was established enough. Any more information would be great!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the reply. What is the standard timeframe for a tank to be established to become a reef? My water quality has been pretty stable at those parameters for over a year now and running for over 3 years. I made the assumption that was established enough. Any more information would be great!
6-8 months. I was under assumption, this was a new tank.
How did you acclimate it and what lughting are you using?
These guys call for moderate to medium lighting and moderate water flow

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am just starting to make the transition to a reef tank from a fish only tank. All my fish are reef safe and I would like to get some anemones and corals in. The tank is 65gallons and has been running for 3 years. In preparation for reefing I added a 20gallon tank as a sump/refugium which grows chaeto, I also have a protein skimmer in the sump. I also added 30lbs of rock (white pieces) in late November.

The current parameters of the tank are:
temp - 76.5
pH - 8.2
Alkalinity - 7.9
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <1
specific gravity - 1.024

I introduced this bubble tip anemone (attached pictures) to the tank 2 weeks ago. I drip acclimated it for about 4 hours and turned off all circulation pumps besides the sump return. The anemone quickly settled on a piece of live rock and over the next 3 days I slowly brought the flow back up to where it currently is. The anemone around the 3 day mark started to move across the rocks but we notices its tentacles receded to the state they currently are. I was hoping it was due to it moving but it has be stationary for about a week now and the tentacles have not expanded back out to the length we purchased it at (about 2inches). I am not sure what to do because it its current placement (bottom side of the live rock) it is not getting any light and I am unable to feed it. The lighting are 2 LED strips (36inches) one blue one beauty max.

Any suggestions on what to do or what might be going wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anemone 1.jpg Anemone 2.jpg
Leave it alone, it looks fine. This is part of the process. Anemones move to where they like. You cannot control them. They could end up in the back where you never see them, or right up front and center. It’s all about where they like. The worst thing to do is try and handle it. Just let it find its spot. Hopefully it settles in somewhere you like too. If not, you could reposition the rock it attaches to after it has been there a while (at least a week) but just know that may prompt another move. Once they find a spot they typically stay there as long as the tank doesn’t change. So always add nems before your corals.

OP
OP
S

scooter44111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allow nitrate to come up a little. I run mine around 5-10. Allows some nutrients in the water for food. Unless you see the anemone melting do not get hands on with it.
Where did you get the anemone from? Have a hospital tank and cipro on hand for just incase?
What is the best way to bring the nitrates up? Should I pull the Chaeto from the refugium?

I got the anemone from a local store, I believe they order everything from Live Aquaria.

I have a hospital tank (20L) but I do not have Cipro. Going to order it right now to have on hand. Thank you!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to bring the nitrates up? Should I pull the Chaeto from the refugium?

I got the anemone from a local store, I believe they order everything from Live Aquaria.

I have a hospital tank (20L) but I do not have Cipro. Going to order it right now to have on hand. Thank you!
Don't remove the chaeto. Can simply reduce the photo period or feed more. The anemone looks a little bleached is why I was asking. From now on try and find local reefers to buy anemone and coral. Health and prices are much better.

JonEB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remove the chaeto. Can simply reduce the photo period or feed more. The anemone looks a little bleached is why I was asking. From now on try and find local reefers to buy anemone and coral. Health and prices are much better.
Local reefers usually have healthier nems I agree 100%

OP
OP
S

scooter44111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 3 years running, your tank is Mature enough. That isn't the issue here (if there is one)

My anenomes do best with alk North of 8.5 and at least 10 ppm nitrates.

You don't Need to feed your nem. Especially when it isn't settled and comfortable. External feeding only ads another layer of stress which doesn't need to be there at this time.

The foot does look a little inflated and wonky but that could just be that it isn't settled yet.

Try to get some nutrients in the water. Raise pH up a bit and watch it.

Like Jekyl mentioned above, having Cipro on hand is a good thing when dealing with nems.
Awesome information, Thank you! I will bring the Alk up a little in the tank since it is below 8. Does an inflated foot point to anything in particular? Infection maybe? I can note that the anemone was not pulled off a rock or the tank when it was purchased. The store gave me the live rock that it was on and during drip acclimation the anemone moved off the rock and almost immediately footed when I moved it to the display tank. Is it common for the tentacles to shrink? At the store the tentacles were about 2 inches long and full.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Cipro for what. Anemone looks fine other than being in its own zone
Allow it to take hold of new environment and adjust accordingly

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that Vette read that you have been up and going for 3 years and stable.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome information, Thank you! I will bring the Alk up a little in the tank since it is below 8. Does an inflated foot point to anything in particular? Infection maybe? I can note that the anemone was not pulled off a rock or the tank when it was purchased. The store gave me the live rock that it was on and during drip acclimation the anemone moved off the rock and almost immediately footed when I moved it to the display tank. Is it common for the tentacles to shrink? At the store the tentacles were about 2 inches long and full.
They inflate the foot to move. It'll shrink down once it locks in and is settled.

If this nem was in my tank, I wouldn't be worried about infection at this point. Looks like it's just trying to find it's happy place.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back