Help With Angry Bird Please

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There is also more than one version of RRU Angry Birds, if you weren't already aware. The nice one is the one that TSA sells. My frag from TSA came in looking great, lost it after a few months due to a minor phosphate spike.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That was my incorrect assumption too. I just meant the trend of people posting the condition of the frags they received from RRU. Mine was over a year ago I think, so I don't think it is a sudden recent development.

The parasitic copepods are similar to red bugs but more dorsoventrally flattened, much more camouflaged, and resistant to regular dosages of Interceptor and sometimes Bayer dipping. You can see them best at night with a flashlight, sometimes they have reflective eyes that are easier to spot. They are clear to beige colored, sometimes with a transverse lighter beige to white band across the middle. They seem to prefer tenuis, hoeksemai, tortuosa and other dark blue corals. Sometimes they are on granulosa and other "smooth skinned" acros, but seem to be at lower densities. They are also fast and will run inside the corallites to hide, so they are much harder to detect than red bugs.

I usually quarantine and treat twice with 12x the normal dosing of Interceptor for 6 hours, 2 weeks apart, in addition to Bayer dipping. I've heard the potassium salt dips are more effective, but I had them survive those too.

It is such a hassle that I try to avoid getting corals from anyone but the handful of people that I trust, who I know are aware of them and how to treat for them.

Thanks for the great information! I have an Oregon Tort and WWC Cobalt that are both very blue in that system. I'm going to go on a nocturnal hunt for parasitic copepods. Hopefully it will be unsuccessful...

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There is also more than one version of RRU Angry Birds, if you weren't already aware. The nice one is the one that TSA sells. My frag from TSA came in looking great, lost it after a few months due to a minor phosphate spike.

Thanks. I knew that there was more than one Angry Birds, and I thought that the best one was RRU. That's one of the reasons I went right to RRU. I didn't realize that there was more than one RRU Angry Bird(s). I guess I'll see if this one survives and colors up. Thanks for the tip on TSA.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see it's still alive, hopefully it'll start to color up for you.

I've never heard of the grey parasitic copepods, I'll be going on a hunt as well. I've been having issues with tenuis specific events this year. Maybe that could be what I'm missing

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Glad to see it's still alive, hopefully it'll start to color up for you.

I've never heard of the grey parasitic copepods, I'll be going on a hunt as well. I've been having issues with tenuis specific events this year. Maybe that could be what I'm missing

Thanks, I appreciate the well wishes. Hopefully we will both strike out on our hunt...

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered once from RRU and they all arrived about the same. Died in quarantine.. Lesson learned. If you havent noticed, I sense a trend.

There are very few people that I will acquire tenuis from any more. Quality is usually poor and extremely resistant gray parasitic copepods are almost ubiquitous.
Can you make some sources that you trust with tenuis ? Scouting around too to by some

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you make some sources that you trust with tenuis ? Scouting around too to by some
Well, I have a few :) @Battlecorals @FarmerTy always have quality pest free corals that I trust and have some unique pieces. I got a very nice pack of several of the more expensive tenuis from @CoralFragZ, encrusted super fast and have thrived in my system.

My current favorite is the Jackson's Rainbow tenuis from @ReefBum The colors on it are blindingly bright in the system where I dose nitrates. Still small but once it settled in and started encrusting I've come to realize why it started the rainbow tenuis fad. It is an absolutely top notch piece compared to any coral in any lighting, not a grayish pastel thing that only looks good under orange filtered blue light.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Buy 10 standard sized tenuis frags. Maybe 6 out of 10 will make it to mini colonies in your system, probably more like.4 out of 10. Some will barely grow for yrs, some will morph colors, some will fade and die. Im calling BS if anybody says they can go 10 for 10.
If I was only successful with 40% of my purchased acros, I’d find a different hobby!

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks. I knew that there was more than one Angry Birds, and I thought that the best one was RRU. That's one of the reasons I went right to RRU. I didn't realize that there was more than one RRU Angry Bird(s). I guess I'll see if this one survives and colors up. Thanks for the tip on TSA.
There’s not more than 1 RRU Angry Bird. But there are a ton of fake “Angry Birds” out there. The TSA RRU AB is the real deal. And in my experience, it is very finicky and does not like high PAR (300 or more).

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen some of those online from a vendor and they all looked like that with like a 300 dollar price tag. So I assumed that's what it's supposed to be although yea it looks super bleached and I chuckled to myself about the price.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There’s not more than 1 RRU Angry Bird. But there are a ton of fake “Angry Birds” out there. The TSA RRU AB is the real deal. And in my experience, it is very finicky and does not like high PAR (300 or more).

It seemed like there were a lot o fake Angry Birds. That.was part of th reason I went to RRU. Am I correct in thinking that Reef Raft USA has the original/authentic RRU Angry Bird?

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It seemed like there were a lot o fake Angry Birds. That.was part of th reason I went to RRU. Am I correct in thinking that Reef Raft USA has the original/authentic RRU Angry Bird?
The sought after and highly recognizable OG Angry Bird is, in fact, the RRU version. Nowadays vendors are calling any blue Tenuis with red polyps a RRU Angry Bird

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine is a RRU Angry Birds bought from TSA. Now sitting at 400 par. But took over a year to get there. The color hasn’t changed from 300-400 par. It’s been full of color from the start. But growth has seemed to pick up. Although one of the slowest in the system.

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
RRU is the one to get. You did good. Although TSA would of given you a healthy frag.

OP
OP
E

Eldredge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I seen some of those online from a vendor and they all looked like that with like a 300 dollar price tag. So I assumed that's what it's supposed to be although yea it looks super bleached and I chuckled to myself about the price.

Yeah, they’re supposed to be a lot prettier than this.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sought after and highly recognizable OG Angry Bird is, in fact, the RRU version. Nowadays vendors are calling any blue Tenuis with red polyps a RRU Angry Bird
I’ve been told, by a reliable source, there are 2 RRU versions bc Tony lost his original. So he just renamed a similar Tenuis morph RRU angry bird. Shocker considering how well he takes care of the frags he sells and ships.
Here is a tsa pic from 2017 of the original RRU ab
3B466D57-03A7-4614-B2FF-05D37F9F6878.png

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’ve been told, by a reliable source, there are 2 RRU versions bc Tony lost his original. So he just renamed a similar Tenuis morph RRU angry bird. Shocker considering how well he takes care of the frags he sells and ships.
Here is a tsa pic from 2017 of the original RRU ab
3B466D57-03A7-4614-B2FF-05D37F9F6878.png
That looks like what I’ve seen called the RR Asia Angry Bird. Can’t remember where I seen it though... Notice that they aren’t calling it RRU, just RR...

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like what I’ve seen called the RR Asia Angry Bird. Can’t remember where I seen it though... Notice that they aren’t calling it RRU, just RR...
That was back before Tony and “reef raft” got divorced and he rebranded as reefraftusa. TSA acquired that particular mini colony from Thinh Vu of mythical corals, but they had many struggles with bc it was temperamental and was told by someone else they lost it. They then acquired the RRU version they are selling now.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I’ve seen “reefraftasia” version was from aquasd. Someone sold them a Jf jolt and called it reef raft Asia angry bird. I know that bc I’m one of the ppl that bought it as rra ab…..but it’s a Jf jolt. Here it is
4FFB36CC-9BAC-4D9D-AF3F-9E7A993AB5E9.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back