Help with Apex Water Change Safety

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some help adding redundancy and safety to my auto-water change via my apex. I have an FMM x2, EB4, and a dos in my garage that has Rodi run to my tank that has an ATK, FMM, and a leak sensor under the stand. My saltwater bin has a high and low water sensor in the bin.

I have the apex setup to change over 1.5 gal daily. I was doing manual changes with the dos and it had a built in stop for the low water sensor and for a sensor for the waste bin being full which I set to the leak sensor and duplicated it to the high water sensor on the ATK

I can’t figure out how to do this with the automatic changes. Can someone help me out or give me some better ideas on how to make this safer?

Thanks!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was setup under manual water change I think it should have carried over when you changed it to automatic. Go to your dos tile in fusion or local click on the gear and click on the advanced tab. If there’s no programming in the advanced section you have to add the code in for the sensor condition to shut off the dos. Ex. If lowsensor closed then off. Depends on if your sensor is open or closed when the bin is empty.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was setup under manual water change I think it should have carried over when you changed it to automatic. Go to your dos tile in fusion or local click on the gear and click on the advanced tab. If there’s no programming in the advanced section you have to add the code in for the sensor condition to shut off the dos. Ex. If lowsensor closed then off. Depends on if your sensor is open or closed when the bin is empty.
When you setup manual changes it creates 2 virtual outlets that have the coding. The dos heads just say TBL and there’s nowhere to adjust the advanced controls that I can see.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I should have read your message better before replying. Do I just add if sensor open/closed then off? Do I need anything else in there like set off or any other commands?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I should have read your message better before replying. Do I just add if sensor open/closed then off? Do I need anything else in there like set off or any other commands?
No worries. So if your manual water change virtual outlets had the shutoff programming, you can click the gear on the outlet and then copy and paste the code over to the dos (click gear, click advanced, then paste). I wouldn’t use any set statements for a dos. You could put, fallback off, as the first line but I think that’s automatically written by the apex when you run the awc Wizard and you just can’t see it. Just make sure you have the same programming in both the add and remove dos. Otherwise your add dos will shutdown when your bin is empty, the remove dos will continue to take out water, and the ato will replace it with fresh water lowering your salinity.

Edit. I would also add a virtual outlet. One named mix salt or something to that effect. Program mix salt as
Set off
If lowlevelsensor open (or closed depending on your switch) then on.
Add a line to your dos advanced programming stating, if mixsalt on then off. That way when your bin is low, the awc dos stops but doesn’t restart on its own after the bin is filled with rodi. You would mix salt, test it to make sure it’s good, then turn off the mix salt virtual outlet and then place it back in auto. Only after that would the awc start back up again.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back