Help with aquascape with strange shaped rocks

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for another thread looking for suggestions on aquascaping, but I would love some opinions. I got some rocks with some really unqiue shapes. I wanted to create a unique aquascape, but finding them hard to work with.

Here is what I have so far:

IMG_8189.jpg

IMG_8190.jpg

IMG_8191.jpg

Possible thoughts so far:

* I like the overhang on the right side, but I struggle to make it look good without piling rocks on top of it. Piling rocks on top of it makes things look crowded.

* In general maybe I should consider removing some of the rock to get more space between them.

What do you guys think? Do you like it at all? Should I start fresh?

johnyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to make more flow In between the rocks and make more caves because the fish will need there own territories I have a 75 gallon. People like to put a ton of rock but I put just enough with caves so the water can flow through the rocks because that's your best bio filter.

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the recommendation. I think I am slowly getting there. I removed one of the rocks and moved the shelf. Moving the shelf let me stack the rocks a bit more loosely. I moved it slightly to the left (it's barely a shelf there, maybe I should just remove it?)

I definetly like how having it like this allowed me to stack the rocks with more space between them on the right side.

Thoughts/opinions?

IMG_8192.jpg

IMG_8193.jpg

OP
OP
jent

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd uneven it

Uneven what parts of it?

As you can see in the second photos I made the left side lower than the right. Do you think I should take this further?

FWIW, I do think it's looking a ton better in the last version. In some ways it's less natural because there is more random angles for the rocks, and less parallel lines, but it is more pleasing to the eye IMO.

Right now the biggest thing I am unsure about is the shelf I now have in the middle, if I should just remove it. In the photos I provided you can see the rock under the shelf, but when the light on the top of the aquarium is on it's shaded underneath.

The other thing I am considering, it's basically a C with the open part facing you...I could remove some of the forward curve on the left side, and make it a bit more open for water.

With that said, I don't plan to have any big fish (tank is too small for any big fish). Mostly focused on rock space to put corals on....

Cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah, 2nd picture is not bad. also the flat plates, i would use those for one side but thats just me. make a plateau like....middle part i'd put a nice coral but little to the side. might have to use less rocks but all preference though

aquascaping1.jpg

layout like that but with your rocks...something similar would be nice. imo

Last edited:

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you'll want more swim throughs and caves for the fish and the ability to have better flow in there.
I've always been a fan of taking a hammer to rocks that don't quite fit and use zip ties and coralline colored epoxy to make them into something better.
That being said, I can see some real potential in those rocks with a little bit of mods. My 2 cents.

Back