Help with balancing parameters

reefrocker82

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2025
Messages
55
Reaction score
47
Location
Anderson
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I am looking for advice on balancing out my parameters on my 90g mixed reef. Currently I am not heavily stocked with corals. I have a bunch of misc shrooms, two torches, a few candy canes, two toadstools, a RBTA, a small monti cap and 10 small to medium fish. I also have a 5g remote fuge with chaeto, caulerpa, ulva, and gracilaria. My current parameters are as follows:

Temp: 78
SG: 1.025
NO3: 4.5
Phosphorus : 125ppb (can’t seem to get it down)
Ca: 500
Alk: 7.2

I have not been dosing anything but intend on starting with All for Reef once I’m balanced. In the meantime do I need to bring up my alk? And idk why my calcium is so high.
I’m using up the rest of the reef crystals that I have and switching to Fritz RPM. My corals seem happy for the most part. Other than my torches and a couple of disco shrooms that have not been extending since adding phosguard. I appreciate any input. Thanks
 
Hello reefers,

I am looking for advice on balancing out my parameters on my 90g mixed reef. Currently I am not heavily stocked with corals. I have a bunch of misc shrooms, two torches, a few candy canes, two toadstools, a RBTA, a small monti cap and 10 small to medium fish. I also have a 5g remote fuge with chaeto, caulerpa, ulva, and gracilaria. My current parameters are as follows:

Temp: 78
SG: 1.025
NO3: 4.5
Phosphorus : 125ppb (can’t seem to get it down)
Ca: 500
Alk: 7.2

I have not been dosing anything but intend on starting with All for Reef once I’m balanced. In the meantime do I need to bring up my alk? And idk why my calcium is so high.
I’m using up the rest of the reef crystals that I have and switching to Fritz RPM. My corals seem happy for the most part. Other than my torches and a couple of disco shrooms that have not been extending since adding phosguard. I appreciate any input. Thanks
Just pick a salt with the parameters you like do a couple of water changes, get it where you want it. Then test weekly to get consumption. Done. Easy. If it is a newer tank and you used dry dead rock like I did calcium and phos will be high for a while so don't sweat it.
 
Hello reefers,

I am looking for advice on balancing out my parameters on my 90g mixed reef. Currently I am not heavily stocked with corals. I have a bunch of misc shrooms, two torches, a few candy canes, two toadstools, a RBTA, a small monti cap and 10 small to medium fish. I also have a 5g remote fuge with chaeto, caulerpa, ulva, and gracilaria. My current parameters are as follows:

Temp: 78
SG: 1.025
NO3: 4.5
Phosphorus : 125ppb (can’t seem to get it down)
Ca: 500
Alk: 7.2

I have not been dosing anything but intend on starting with All for Reef once I’m balanced. In the meantime do I need to bring up my alk? And idk why my calcium is so high.
I’m using up the rest of the reef crystals that I have and switching to Fritz RPM. My corals seem happy for the most part. Other than my torches and a couple of disco shrooms that have not been extending since adding phosguard. I appreciate any input. Thanks
Just pick a salt with the parameters you like do a couple of water changes, get it where you want it. Then test weekly to get consumption. Done. Easy. If it is a newer tank and you used dry dead rock like I did calcium and phos will be high for a while so don't sweat it.
Kind of what I was thinking. It is only about 5mos old and I did use a combination of dry/live rock. Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new