help with broken off frags.

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So firstly i must state i am a total newbie and these are my first corals so can you confirm the purple one here is that a mushroom frag?
Now due to these electric blue and left handed crabs all over these frags recently they firstly broke off nearly the whole purple mushroom piece from the frag as you can see in the photo.
20230218_193214.jpg

20230218_193153.jpg

20230218_193208.jpg

My questions would be
1. is it still saveable?
2.will that small little piece left on the frag evolve into anything at all or not?
4. the big piece that broke off can that just be super glued on to a new frag?
5. separately I also show a picture here off another smaller piece that I found on its own on the substrate which must of come from another frag possible again will that little piece still grow into mushroom if so do I also glue it to a frag?
20230219_072317.jpg

6. This photo here which also seems to be the same type of purple mushroom if you could just confirm for me this is an actual mushroom with the zoa?
20230218_191951.jpg

Lastly again due to my over zealous hermit crabs I've noticed a single polyp that's just floating about on the substrate which has obviously come of 1 of the zoa frags somewhere. Now regards to this polyp will just die and do I just remove it or can broken off single polyp actually be saved or not which this is it here.
20230219_072250.jpg

thanks guys

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its very difficult to see in the pics what those corals are.

Any coral can be saved as long as there is a tiny bit of flesh left, even from a microscopic piece of flesh, a colony can grow.

Yes, you can re-glue a coral that came off the frag plug, but mushrooms can be hard to glue, If it won't stay down with glue, then you can use an elastic band or a piece of string.

As for the loose zoa polyp, I would guess polyp bailout, the tank looks extremely new. A new tank is very unstable and generally very challenging to grow corals in a brand new tank.

You can try to glue that zoa polyp to a rock, but they are too small for me, I've never had luck.

OP
OP
R

rocknurworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its very difficult to see in the pics what those corals are.

Any coral can be saved as long as there is a tiny bit of flesh left, even from a microscopic piece of flesh, a colony can grow.

Yes, you can re-glue a coral that came off the frag plug, but mushrooms can be hard to glue, If it won't stay down with glue, then you can use an elastic band or a piece of string.

As for the loose zoa polyp, I would guess polyp bailout, the tank looks extremely new. A new tank is very unstable and generally very challenging to grow corals in a brand new tank.

You can try to glue that zoa polyp to a rock, but they are too small for me, I've never had luck.
the zoa polyp was caused by electric blue crab climbing all over them knocked it off.
so are the purple pieces a type of mushroom?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that the purple tissue may be a photosynthetic sponge. If it is, it will probably reattach where it settles and the base of it may survive, have to wait and see.

The crabs are going to keep damaging stuff as long as they can.

Superglue is tricky to work with but you’ll get a handle on it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back