Help with choosing rocks

s2kdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am in the process of starting up my saltwater tank. I ended up buying caribsea mountain stone and tufa stone prematurely.

After doing some research it seems like the mountain stone is not suitable...but I really like the look of it as I am trying to get a bit different look then the typical saltwater tank.

Would I face any issues with keeping these stones or should I return it?

Thanks in advance

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd return it. You could get lucky and be ok, but more than likely the land based rock will contain minerals and stuff you dont want in a reef tank. And it wont be porous, so it wont offer much surface area for biological filtration to take place.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anywhere it tells you what this is beyond a rock. I don't think you going to get anything but negative responses out of cautiousness.

Your only other option is to put it in a bucket of saltwater for several days and then test the water with the normal tests and see if it makes any negative changes.

OP
OP
s2kdan

s2kdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anywhere it tells you what this is beyond a rock. I don't think you going to get anything but negative responses out of cautiousness.

Your only other option is to put it in a bucket of saltwater for several days and then test the water with the normal tests and see if it makes any negative changes.
Not sure why I would get negative responses. I came here asking for advice and if people cant give insights, then not sure what to say. I thought this forum is about learning and helping eachother.

Its not like I already started cycling and planning to add fish soon.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it. Freshwater rocks are likely to lower your PH, as well as not provide a good surface for beneficial bacteria. If we are thinking of the same rock, tufa is very brittle and erodes easily. Besides, dry rock isn't really ideal for a saltwater tank. If I were you, I'd return the rock and order some KP Aquatics or TBS live rock from the gulf. If you do want to use the rock, you should let it soak in a bucket of saltwater that has correct parameters for a week or two. If the parameters of the water stay good, it is safe to use. If they change, don't use it. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
s2kdan

s2kdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it. Freshwater rocks are likely to lower your PH, as well as not provide a good surface for beneficial bacteria. If we are thinking of the same rock, tufa is very brittle and erodes easily. Besides, dry rock isn't really ideal for a saltwater tank. If I were you, I'd return the rock and order some KP Aquatics or TBS live rock from the gulf. If you do want to use the rock, you should let it soak in a bucket of saltwater that has correct parameters for a week or two. If the parameters of the water stay good, it is safe to use. If they change, don't use it. I hope that this helps!
Thank you I'm just going to stick to the classic saltwater rocks

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why I would get negative responses. I came here asking for advice and if people cant give insights, then not sure what to say. I thought this forum is about learning and helping eachother.

Its not like I already started cycling and planning to add fish soon.
All
I meant was most will say not to use them.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 29 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 71 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.8%
Back