Help with Clownfish Aggression

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently, my female ocellaris clown has been really nasty, and is harassing my male. The male always looks malnourished, has shredded fins, and is drained in color. What should I do to help the male recover? Should I buy an acclimation box and separate the female for a bit? Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are these fish? If they are just maturing (~year 1) she may be rejecting the little guy? If he’s sick she might be trying to off him?
Using a separation scheme may help but if she has rejected him as a mate then I believe she will continue seeking a “final divorce”

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old are these fish? If they are just maturing (~year 1) she may be rejecting the little guy? If he’s sick she might be trying to off him?
Using a separation scheme may help but if she has rejected him as a mate then I believe she will continue seeking a “final divorce”
I am trying so hard not to laugh. Female clowns can get downright evil.

I am sorry, time to fill out the papers and rehome one to another aquarium.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re young, both a little under an inch. I’ve had them for a few months. They started out pretty mellow, but the female has become a tiny devil, acting like it owns the tank.

I’ll try a separation but maybe I’ll have to set up a tiny tank for the male clown.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry, time to fill out the papers and rehome one to another aquarium.
Yeah, this seems like the likely option…. It stinks because I thought they would keep their bond. Things have really escalated after their host torch died. They stopped being near each other since then.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that having lots of labyrinthine escape paths in the liverocks works.

They do not have an actual understanding of individuality and the dominant fish wishes to control the movement of the subdominant fish. Like being one fish in two bodies. Until it learns how to control the smaller fish, the dominant fish will become frustrated and that just scares the smaller fish even more. You have to give the smaller fish multiple paths to get away when it is being chased. That will help force the bigger fish to learn that chasing it around, will not help achieve control over its movements.

Then the dominant fish will learn how to lure and stop chasing unless for play.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could upgrade but the behaviour would most likely continue if the subdominant fish is unable to find good escape routes around the rockwork in the bigger tank.

Perhaps try to see if you can get to rearrange the rocks without stressing the fish and then let the dominant fish have a time out in acclimation box, while the exhausted male makes itself familiar with how to swim efficiently around in the new setup.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male does live inside a little cave he dug out. I’ll try to separate the female for a bit and strengthen up the male. If that doesn’t work, I may have to face the facts and get rid of one.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning, Nemo (the male) went missing. I searched everywhere, and came to the unfortunate conclusion he was dead. Then my goby darted away as Nemo emerged from underneath the rock. It seems as though he was hiding with my shrimp and goby last night…

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, you have to split them. This is no longer about control. She has down right rejected him. I am so sorry. Maybe a new clown? And hopefully one who isn't such a B....

Edit: He's camping with a shrimp and goby... That's a winner!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, you have to split them. This is no longer about control. She has down right rejected him. I am so sorry. Maybe a new clown? And hopefully one who isn't such a B....

Edit: He's camping with a shrimp and goby... That's a winner!
Yeah, I’ll probably have to separate them. The female has gotten out of hand, even biting me when I try to clean the tank. I’ll either have to make a backup tank for one, or just replace the female…..

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I’ll probably have to separate them. The female has gotten out of hand, even biting me when I try to clean the tank. I’ll either have to make a backup tank for one, or just replace the female…..
Some of them get nasty. You managed to score the devil in disguise.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's unfortunate but sounds like a rejection. Even got sent the the invert and goby bar for the night

My female clown is the only inhabitant of my tank as of now (shrimp passed and I had to remove snails) and she's always been a nipper. Clown life

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try first to separate the female with a breeder box, but if that doesn’t work out, I’ll need to either rehome or get rid of her. Oddly enough, as nasty as she is, the female clown has a special place in my heart (she’s also my profile pic). Both her and the male have been through a lot, including surviving a brook outbreak.

They seemed to be a good pair until the torch coral died and they lost their host. Instead of adapting, the female decided to go full devil on the male…

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember your brook outbreak sharkbait. I'm glad everyone survived.

You could also give her to ur lfs if it doesn't work out. If you have a good lfs you'll rest easy knowing that it's taken care of at least ☺

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember your brook outbreak sharkbait. I'm glad everyone survived.

You could also give her to ur lfs if it doesn't work out. If you have a good lfs you'll rest easy knowing that it's taken care of at least ☺
Yeah. I’ll be content as long as she has a good home.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back