Help with Clownfish Aggression

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Separation or change in environment are the only hopes in these cases. Its a hierarchy in which the females are the dominant and aggressive ones. Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their "home", whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
This is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish: There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male, who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger (often much larger) than the male. Next are non-mating males and juveniles. They are usually smaller still than the dominant male. If the male mate were to die, the next dominant male would become the mate (if the female accepts him). If the female were to die, then the dominant male would change to female and the next male in line would become the mate.
When an Ocellaris Clownfish submits to the dominant female it is quite a site. The fish will actually turn on its side and shake, almost like a spasm. The female will then usually relent, but will often check back to make sure the male stays in line, so to speak. Once the male submits, they can become a pair, but they do not always become a pair.
Just because the pair are bonded does not always mean they will mate. A mated pair of clownfish are just that - a bonded pair that have mated.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separation or change in environment are the only hopes in these cases. Its a hierarchy in which the females are the dominant and aggressive ones. Female clownfish are much more dominant than their male counterparts. They greedily try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They will often aggressively protect their "home", whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank. If it attacks your hand when you're trying to clean the glass or it won't let any other fish near its spot, you most likely have a female clownfish.
This is how the social hierarchy works for clownfish: There is one dominant female clownfish, partnered with a male, who is the next most dominant fish. The female is larger (often much larger) than the male. Next are non-mating males and juveniles. They are usually smaller still than the dominant male. If the male mate were to die, the next dominant male would become the mate (if the female accepts him). If the female were to die, then the dominant male would change to female and the next male in line would become the mate.
When an Ocellaris Clownfish submits to the dominant female it is quite a site. The fish will actually turn on its side and shake, almost like a spasm. The female will then usually relent, but will often check back to make sure the male stays in line, so to speak. Once the male submits, they can become a pair, but they do not always become a pair.
Just because the pair are bonded does not always mean they will mate. A mated pair of clownfish are just that - a bonded pair that have mated.
Thanks for the great information! I decided to keep them completely separated for the weekend. I may reintroduce her after a week of time out and see how she interacts.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the great information! I decided to keep them completely separated for the weekend. I may reintroduce her after a week of time out and see how she interacts.
Just don’t leave them apart too long in that case. The male will become female after a while, and two females don’t usually get along.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the female back in with my smaller male and the agression started back up again after an hour. She started charging the male again. I ended up having to remove the female.

Should I rehome the female or the male or just keep them in separate tanks forever? Is the female more likely to kill a mate or the male as it turns female if I try to pair with a smaller clown?

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the female back in with my smaller male and the agression started back up again after an hour. She started charging the male again. I ended up having to remove the female.

Should I rehome the female or the male or just keep them in separate tanks forever? Is the female more likely to kill a mate or the male as it turns female if I try to pair with a smaller clown?
Sorry to hear. Probably best to keep them apart. There’s no telling if the female will accept a new male, or if your current male will accept a mate later. Clowns are too unpredictable. As long as a new male submits to the female, it should (hopefully) work out. It seems clown pairs need at least 30 gallons to be successful long term. I think the small tanks just stresses them out with lack of available territory.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back