Help with Colorado Sunburst Anemone

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Alk is usually around high 7s or mid 8s. The CSB came from a 11 dKH tank.

NO3 is usually between 5 - 10 in my tank and PO4 below 0.1. It's been a little towards the higher side since I went on vacation and built an automatic refrigeratored frozen fish food feeder.

Light settings with narrow reflectors (sand par is between 100 to 200; mid tank 200 to 350; top 300 to 500)

Screenshot_20220711-164851_Kessil WiFi.jpg

Color goes from 15 to 25. So the tank is pretty blue.

SmartSelect_20220721-222606_Kessil WiFi.jpg

I have Cipro, but nem looks nice when it was out.

As it has disappeared again after making a very brief appearance today...I'd have to remove some large rocks to get to the caves I think it's hiding in.
Ok, so came from high alk and is now in normal all. Sorry about misreading that.

That is an adjustment for sure. I wish you could report on the nem when it disappears. Hiding doesn’t really bother me, as long as I can see the mouth and make sure it is not gaping when hiding.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so came from high alk and is now in normal all. Sorry about misreading that.

That is an adjustment for sure. I wish you could report on the nem when it disappears. Hiding doesn’t really bother me, as long as I can see the mouth and make sure it is not gaping when hiding.

Lol.

As far as I can tell, it's literally hiding in a cave under my rock work. No way to see it...unless I get some x-ray glasses.

The question is, is it worth trying to find and remove or move it in the tank...or just let the CSB figure it out.

If this hiding behavior is normal during an adjustment period, then I'm not as worried...if this is abnormal behavior, does it require action. If so what action?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.

As far as I can tell, it's literally hiding in a cave under my rock work. No way to see it...unless I get some x-ray glasses.

The question is, is it worth trying to find and remove or move it in the tank...or just let the CSB figure it out.

If this hiding behavior is normal during an adjustment period, then I'm not as worried...if this is abnormal behavior, does it require action. If so what action?
Hiding is normal, and if it is actually in a hole in the rocks, more than likely it does not have a gapping mouth or is trying to turn itself inside out.

I will suggest being prepared though and ordering some cipro, just in case. it is not too bad for price and chewy has some in stock. Search aqua-cipro on there and it will be the only result.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding is normal, and if it is actually in a hole in the rocks, more than likely it does not have a gapping mouth or is trying to turn itself inside out.

I will suggest being prepared though and ordering some cipro, just in case. it is not too bad for price and chewy has some in stock. Search aqua-cipro on there and it will be the only result.
Already got some. Thanks!

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have split...

20220722_134030-01.jpeg

It was certainly large enough to be on both sides...but it may have split.

Hard to see. I'd have to remove some rocks.

Picture is blurry because I have to take it at an angle through glass to see in...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have split...

20220722_134030-01.jpeg

It was certainly large enough to be on both sides...but it may have split.

Hard to see. I'd have to remove some rocks.

Picture is blurry because I have to take it at an angle through glass to see in...
A splitting csb does tend to hide, so that can explain it. Stress from a move or alk changes (I used to shock shermans with an alk spike of 1.5-2 to get them to split) can cause a split.

If it did split, give it some time to heal up and both should come out once they get a little of the split damage healed.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on vacation and can only observe through a Ring camera...but it's gotten very large and may have split. Wish I was home to see it...

SmartSelect_20220726-181741_Ring.jpg

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it doesn't hate the tank...everyday it's just getting bigger. Never seen a nem grow so fast...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back