Help with coral ID

  • Thread starter Thread starter plopezmd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

plopezmd

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 9, 2019
Messages
37
Reaction score
137
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this on, but I would like help on identifying if this is an SPS coral. I purchased this rock about 5 months ago, along with some other live rock. At first I thought that it was an interesting shape, but the center purple/blue portion was only about 1/4" tall. I noticed that it has grown to about 1/2" tall, and the coralline algae has matured around it. Can someone please tell me what this is?


20200322_140530.jpg

Actual size of specimen.


20200322_140457.jpg



Tank parameters as of today:

Temp 78.1F
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.0
Magnesium 1420
Alkalinity 8.5 dKh
Calcium 421

I have the Orbit Loop Pro 48" (x2) light system. I had a black box at the beginning, but switched to these about 4 months ago. Since then, the coral growth has been greatly increased.


Thanks in advance,


Paul
 
Looks like a type of branching bryozoa
 
Thanks for the response. Is this something that is beneficial to the tank, or is it considered a nuisance? I searched for information on bryozoa, but none suggests as to how beneficial they are in an aquarium. Is this a coral? I ask because am relatively inexperienced with corals.
 
That’s pretty cool, especially if it’s still alive.


Yes, it is very alive and growing. My 2 basic questions are:

1. If it is Bryozoa, is it beneficial or not to the aquarium?
2. If it is not Bryozoa, then what is it?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new