Help with Coral ID?

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was sold to me as a candy cane. Nothing that I can find online looks anything like this. Trying to find best spot in tank and care tips but unsure what it really is. Any help much appreciated. Thanks

3B01821D-44CE-4438-A8F4-CC1E4AA0BE03.jpeg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They had multiple this color in the frag tanks at the lfs. What color should it be normally?
Hard to say, but the most common would be red and neon green. The yellow mouths should be neon green, the white part could be green, red, purple, it’s impossible to say since it’s bleached. If they had multiple of these, they likely starved them of light or gave them way too much, or they have some water chemistry issues. If your tank is stable it should recover and color up, keep in low to medium light, medium flow, and try to feed it if it puts feeding tentacles out. Also, I wouldn’t do business with that LFS again, they sold you a bleached coral and told you it was something totally different than what it is. If this LFS or employee doesn’t know the difference between a Caulastaea (candy cane) and a Favia/Acan Echinata/Goniastrea, that’s a huge red flag, that’s like a pet store selling a sick hamster and claiming it’s a healthy guinea pig, they’re kind of similar but have different care requirements plus the extra care to nurse it back to health. Its unethical and wrong.

Back