Help with coral PAR thresholds vs peak lighting

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've got better about my chemistry, and my filtration, getting my flow right I'm really now trying to understand my lighting better. I've been rocking a single AP700 on my 4x2x2 but now that I've been dipping my toe in the SPS water I upgraded to 3x Radion XR15 G5s and WOW it looks like the sun in my living room. LOL! :cool:

In order to hit 300+ PAR on the top of my scape my sand has several areas that are 200ish, which was really surprising to me. My light schedule is on at 8am ramps to peak at 12pm holds there until 5pm and then ramps down to off at 8pm.

My question is, I have a lot of LPS on the sand that says it has a threshold of 150. So at my lights peak hitting 200 for 5 hours, is that going to be too much for those corals? Or is it only an issue if you're blasting them for 8-10 hours a day at 200 PAR?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just acclimate them to the new settings. The LPS can probably handle it, just don't blast them all at once. Do a slow acclimation and build up to it over a month.

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah good advice, my acans are super ticked today. I’ll definitely back it down and ramp up more slowly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back