Help with Dino

Hadders95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have got a small outbreak of Dino at the moment and need suggestions on how to get rid of it. I have looked online and there have never been a real answer for myself, I have heard a blackout seems to work for a few days then that’s it, Dino x and other medication have side effects and my outbreak isn’t at that stage yet.

my parameters are;
PH-8.2
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-40/80ppm
Phosphates-0.5 was at 1 but has dropped the last few tests

I am still doing water changes and trying to Manual Remove the Dino. I also have gha on the rock work which I have been removing it too.

I was going to reduce the nitrate and phosphates to see if that help with the issues but have seen online that isn’t a good idea and most likely increase the breakout.

any ideas would be very much appreciated cheers

B6300621-C927-4899-A650-230D70D5B222.jpeg D20B375A-690E-45C4-9EA7-F68EE8BB812A.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miller535 posted a great article with some good info. Check out this thread

Also, are you sure it’s Dino’s? You could get a cheap microscope ($20) and confirm what you are dealing with.

waleedreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I have read online it will get rid of dino but can damage corals etc and the Dino isn’t at that stage where it is affect the life in the tank
i tried it. it's reef safe. nothing bad happened

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried it. it's reef safe. nothing bad happened

It doesn't work on all types of dinos and you run the risk of releasing the toxins in certain corals during the die off. The risk is higher when there are more dinos =. more toxins.

There is a massive thread on the subject. I am not saying DinoX doesn't work, but if were that simple, that thread would be one page.

waleedreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't work on all types of dinos and you run the risk of releasing the toxins in certain corals during the die off. The risk is higher when there are more dinos =. more toxins.

There is a massive thread on the subject. I am not saying DinoX doesn't work, but if were that simple, that thread would be one page.

I really tried everything, closed skimmer, no water change, no light for 3 days, extra feeding, dosing nitrate and phosphate, dosing h2o2. nothing work

then i used Dino X for 40 days treatment then never come back. i advise to not waste time and start using Dino x.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really tried everything, closed skimmer, no water change, no light for 3 days, extra feeding, dosing nitrate and phosphate, dosing h2o2. nothing work

then i used Dino X for 40 days treatment then never come back. i advise to not waste time and start using Dino x.

I am all in favor of DinoX, if you know what you are doing and you know with what you are dealing. I don't think blanket statements based on your anecdotal experience tell the whole story and can lead someone down the wrong path. Odds are the stuff will do as promised, but that promise is qualified

from Fauna Marin itself in another thread addressing some issues:

"Depending on the severity of the problem, we usually attempt other common methods of Dino treatment before using DinoX, but depending on the nature of the problem, it makes sense to work with DinoX.

Some problems which have been mentioned earlier are not only Dino-related issues but also gold algae and bacteria-related issues which can be the cause of negative reaction. In situations like this, DinoX cannot work because the product is not a toxic substance."

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see dinos in either picture.

DinoX itself is reef safe but the sudden die off and toxin release is deadly, I had it kill two clown in a matter of minutes.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see dinos in either picture.

DinoX itself is reef safe but the sudden die off and toxin release is deadly, I had it kill two clown in a matter of minutes.

could be either diatoms or early stage of dinos.

@Hadders95 hold off on water changes if they are dinos, the new water feeds them. Also, have you confirmed they are dinos- microscope or the non-microscope and the poor mans UV will help. I'll link them.

If they go away at night, the do the 3 day black out and the poor mans uv. At night they are going back into the water column. The poor man uv (see below) will help trap the swimmers)

no microscope method to confirm dinos.

poor man uv

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before doing anything special, I would get some confirmation on what you are dealing with. Getting a sample under a microscope is best. You will then know:
a) If they are in fact dinos
b) Whether or not a blackout and or UV is going to control them

You can do a simple test that will help you determine if they are dinos (but not what species) as a first step:
a) tank a large sample of the gunk on the left side glass with some tank water. Put in a jar and shake vigorously.
b) Pour that cloudy solution through a coffee filter into a clear glass or vial. Place under a light for an hour.
c) If the gunk clumps back up after an hour: dinos.

As to Dino-X, if you can tell me what the specific ingredients are, I will tell you what I think of it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back