Help with Dinoflagellates, I think

Schichko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone first post on here, I've been using Reddit before this which has been helpful!

So before I talk about my problem my tank is a 20 gallon long, Params below, I originally set up as a reef but I've been battling algae, like Byprosis (completely gone now) that was from the live rock I used when cycling and red slime algae (almost gone, dying off) , for a while and haven't added and coral yet. I have a yellow tail damsel and around 8 hermit crabs which are all doing well, and I noticed my snails started dying which is a key sign of Dinos apparently, Im only down to 2 nassarius snails, I started with around 8 of different varieties. I've had my tank up for around 3 months including the 4-5 week cycling process.

I have a picture of the algae in question, sorry for quality, any tips on taking pictures of stuff inside of a tank would be appreciated too! What's holding me back from saying it's dino is that I don't see the key bubbles on them which appears to be in every picture I see of dino.

I just ordered some food grade hydrogen peroxide and am starting a 3 day blackout to try and start to combat, if it doesn't end up being dino I will stop, but I don't want to take any extreme options until I know for sure. I would appreciate any and all help or advice you can give!

Tank Params:
Ammonia : 0ppm
Nitrate/Nitrites : 0ppm
pH: 8
Alk : 11
Calcium : 320 ( Also new to reefing would appreciate advice on getting this into the 400 ranfe
Phosphate : .1 ( working on getting down to .05 have some GFO and chemi-pure I added not too long ago)

IMG_20191019_194210.jpg

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!!!

The picture is a little difficult to see. In my case Dino’s showed up the bubbles a few days after I first saw the filaments. Only way to know for sure is with a microscope capable of 1200x. There are some cheap ones in amazon that people have tried successfully.

Also, there is a lot of information here about Dino’s that I found very useful in the past.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything here to worry about yet. Looks like you have a newish system that is still unstable.
for Ca/Alk/Mg calculations, this is my go-to.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

dinos aren't killing nassarius snails. They aren't grazers. They scavenge, and are competing with the hermits for limited meals.
For pics, kill the blue light and illuminate with white.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like new tank uglies. Then again, can't make out the details to clearly.

the_chef_pierre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find an answer to this? I'm experiencing the same thing and my nassarius snails are the ones dying off from it. Had the bryopsis one month after setting up the tank and now in pretty sure I have dino too. Did the hydrogen peroxide work?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back