Help with elevated nitrates, first salt water tank

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need some help deciding how to fix some high nitrate water parameter issues in our tank. This is our first salt water tank.

We have a 28gal tall reef/fish tank that has been running for about 1 year 2 months ( has had fish for 1 year)

Fish :
2 Clown Fish that are about 3"
Diamond Goby that's 5"

Inverts:
3 Large Snails
4-5 Hermit crabs
1 Sea cucumber (pink) 1 "

We have
- Aqua Top SSK-65 Aquarium Surface Skimmer, which I've only just realized is a surface skimmer and not a protein skimmer like I thought
- 2 heaters, kept at a range of 76-78' (closer to a consistant 79-80' during summer)
-Wave maker runs about 4 hours a day
- Lights are on a 12pm-8pm daytime cycle
- 19# of live rock

We had some issues in july when we realized that our tank had outgrown its original live rock purchase (9#), and had 2 coral deaths ):
When that happened we had some spikes in ammonia and nitrates that took a couple of weeks of steady water changes to fix. Luckily (not really) we were moving so we were able to do a big clean when we moved the tank.

Our PH also improved dramatically when we changed houses. We could never get our PH to 8 previously, but it is a consistent 8 or above now.

My main concern now is that our water parameters are showing high nitrates every 2-3 weeks. I'll do a 5-7 gallon water change, and it'll be back to 20-40ppm nitrates by 3 weeks later. Ive also noticed some algae growth over the polyps.

Our last two checks:

12-16-20
SAL 1.026
PH - 8
AMM: 0 - 0.25pm
Nitrate: 40ppm
Nitrite : 0ppm
Cal : 400
KH: 214ppm (12dkh)

01-03-21
SAL 1.027 (high, so I'll add some water)
PH : 8
AMM: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Cal: 380 ppm
KH: 196.9ppm (11dkh)

We feed 1/2 block frozen spirulina shrimp 3x per week, 1 full block 2x per week, and we skip 2 days of feeding. We feed 1/8 tsp benereef once a week.
And 1 block of cyclopods once per week.

Some of the things we are considering and would like feedback on:

We are planning to take our Diamond Goby back to our LFS since he's a larger fish then we suspected, and we don't have the ability to upgrade his space.
We would like to purchase another rock, but would perfer to purchase a dry rock ($) then a live rock if we can
We are looking at protein skimmers or maybe building a sump but we would appreciate any recommendations or ideas for how to get started on a budget
We would like to get more of a clean up crew, suggestions that are reef friendly would be appreciated

Thanks!
-Sierra

Last edited:

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock would be fine since you have an established system. A protein skimmer would help with nitrate, as would a sump or reactor to grow macro algae.

Your local reef club or Facebook marketplace is a great spot to find equipment on a budget.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be an ideal Nitrate amount to see in my tank?
I guess I assumed 0, but I keep seeing threads where 0 is a problem.

Thank you Blenny.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
With the tank being new, it will happen.
I also question if you are getting this reading from an API test kit ( produces false readings in especially newer tanks)
You can add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will keep nitrate in check and keep your tank water clear and free of toxins.
At minimum, run a hang on back Power filter along with poly filter pad

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the tank being new, it will happen.
I also question if you are getting this reading from an API test kit ( produces false readings in especially newer tanks)
You can add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will keep nitrate in check and keep your tank water clear and free of toxins.
At minimum, run a hang on back Power filter along with poly filter pad
We are using the API test kits. I have an extra filter I'm not using anymore on our freshwater tank, I'll attach it and pick up some filter pads soon. Originally our LFS had told us we didn't need one. Thank you! :)

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need some help deciding how to fix some high nitrate water parameter issues in our tank. This is our first salt water tank.

We have a 28gal tall reef/fish tank that has been running for about 1 year 2 months ( has had fish for 1 year)

Fish :
2 Clown Fish that are about 3"
Diamond Goby that's 5"

Inverts:
3 Large Snails
4-5 Hermit crabs
1 Sea cucumber (pink) 1 "

We have
- Aqua Top SSK-65 Aquarium Surface Skimmer, which I've only just realized is a surface skimmer and not a protein skimmer like I thought
- 2 heaters, kept at a range of 76-78' (closer to a consistant 79-80' during summer)
-Wave maker runs about 4 hours a day
- Lights are on a 12pm-8pm daytime cycle
- 19# of live rock

We had some issues in july when we realized that our tank had outgrown its original live rock purchase (9#), and had 2 coral deaths ):
When that happened we had some spikes in ammonia and nitrates that took a couple of weeks of steady water changes to fix. Luckily (not really) we were moving so we were able to do a big clean when we moved the tank.

Our PH also improved dramatically when we changed houses. We could never get our PH to 8 previously, but it is a consistent 8 or above now.

My main concern now is that our water parameters are showing high nitrates every 2-3 weeks. I'll do a 5-7 gallon water change, and it'll be back to 20-40ppm nitrates by 3 weeks later. Ive also noticed some algae growth over the polyps.

Our last two checks:

12-16-20
SAL 1.026
PH - 8
AMM: 0 - 0.25pm
Nitrate: 40ppm
Nitrite : 0ppm
Cal : 400
KH: 214ppm (12dkh)

01-03-21
SAL 1.027 (high, so I'll add some water)
PH : 8
AMM: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Cal: 380 ppm
KH: 196.9ppm (11dkh)

We feed 1/2 block frozen spirulina shrimp 3x per week, 1 full block 2x per week, and we skip 2 days of feeding. We feed 1/8 tsp benereef once a week.
And 1 block of cyclopods once per week.

Some of the things we are considering and would like feedback on:

We are planning to take our Diamond Goby back to our LFS since he's a larger fish then we suspected, and we don't have the ability to upgrade his space.
We would like to purchase another rock, but would perfer to purchase a dry rock ($) then a live rock if we can
We are looking at protein skimmers or maybe building a sump but we would appreciate any recommendations or ideas for how to get started on a budget
We would like to get more of a clean up crew, suggestions that are reef friendly would be appreciated

Thanks!
-Sierra
A big clean when you moved? Did you reuse sand? If so, was it rinsed very well?? Do you clean the sand regularly while doing water changes?

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big clean when you moved? Did you reuse sand? If so, was it rinsed very well?? Do you clean the sand regularly while doing water changes?
I did reuse my sand. And it smelled something awful since we had a fist sized leather coral die in it. We were really broke and couldn't afford new sand. I rinsed the sand and it smelled less bad after a couple of weeks.

I didn't realize I should. :eek: I do for our freshwater tanks but I have never vacuumed the sand in the reef tank since there are starfish critters in there and I was worried about them.

Can I just vacuum it with a regular syphon?

-Sierra

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did reuse my sand. And it smelled something awful since we had a fist sized leather coral die in it. We were really broke and couldn't afford new sand. I rinsed the sand and it smelled less bad after a couple of weeks.

I didn't realize I should. :eek: I do for our freshwater tanks but I have never vacuumed the sand in the reef tank since there are starfish critters in there and I was worried about them.

Can I just vacuum it with a regular syphon?

-Sierra
Yes. There is a you tube video somewhere if you need a demo. I let the siphon pick up sand then pinch the hose so it drops the sand back in place. I do 1/3 of my tank every week.

FLReefer101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. There is a you tube video somewhere if you need a demo. I let the siphon pick up sand then pinch the hose so it drops the sand back in place. I do 1/3 of my tank every week.
I would be careful especially in smaller tanks. When you disturb the sand bed you can disrupt bad things in the sand causing problems in the tank. Depending on how deep your sand bed is I would just get anything that is on the top resting on your sand and then maybe about an inch after you get your nitrates under control. This is my opinion and others will disagree but remember you have to find what works for your tank because everyone’s is completely different. Good luck and don’t let it discourage you.

RC Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see anything about Phosphates in your numbers. Shoot for a 10:1 Nitrate to Phosphate level

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful especially in smaller tanks. When you disturb the sand bed you can disrupt bad things in the sand causing problems in the tank. Depending on how deep your sand bed is I would just get anything that is on the top resting on your sand and then maybe about an inch after you get your nitrates under control. This is my opinion and others will disagree but remember you have to find what works for your tank because everyone’s is completely different. Good luck and don’t let it discourage you.
Thank you. I’m hoping our diamond goby has been doing his sand sifting duties so ideally there aren’t any bad pockets. But since we are re homing him soon I’ll keep this in mind. ;)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back