Help with equipment 40b + 40b

mahargkcin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a complete noob self confessed. I'm trying to get a build going. I have the 2 breeder tanks one, display other sump/refugium. I have a 100 gpd rodi filter. I have planted freshwater tank experience but this will be my first saltwater tank.
I am doing this for my son and he's in the last couple months of freshman year. Next year he's taking marine biology and who wouldn't love to have a nice reef tank[emoji16]
I am thinking about an ATI t5 fixture, either the 36" 4 lamp or the 24" 6 lamp. Probably mag 7 return pump. Overflow from glass holes. 2 korillia circ pumps. I'm not sure what skimmer. Need to plan my sump out and get the glass cut....
I have checked out many builds. I need help with pretty much everything and general advice. If anyone has the time to lend a hand. I'll try to document my build and everything I learn. [emoji26]

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure love a new tanks set up :D It's tough to decide what to do and in which order sometimes. Best thing I can suggest is searching this forum for any specific questions you have. LOTS of good info here. One bit of advice I notice gets overlooked a lot is the use of check valves or vacuum breaks in your lines.

OP
OP
M

mahargkcin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think I have "paralysis by analysis". Been re analyzing and over analyzing everything. Very hard to decide on each and every piece of equipment.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand that. I had my decisions simplified by lack of funds lol. I mostly got what I found a good deal on at the time. It seems to me most of the equipment out there will do the job as long as you keep up good regular maintenance. Do you have any products you are looking at? I can give my opinion for whatever it's worth :D

OP
OP
M

mahargkcin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand that. I had my decisions simplified by lack of funds lol. I mostly got what I found a good deal on at the time. It seems to me most of the equipment out there will do the job as long as you keep up good regular maintenance. Do you have any products you are looking at? I can give my opinion for whatever it's worth :D
Yea in the OP I listed what I planned on so far, hoping that someone would chime in and fill in the blanks with what else I would need.

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I'm the only one replying to this. This site is packed with people more familiar with setting something like that up than me. You might try posting in the New to salt water and reef section of this forum. I am fairly new to this forum myself and if I knew how to link you to some of the other posts I would. :confused:

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill give ya what i did seeing as how i just got water in my 40 breeder...i used the glassholes overflow as well and also bought a mag 7 and it was way more than i needed (however i didnt figure this out until i bought a 2nd 850gph pump dohh). Anyway depending on which overflow you get from glassholes (mine is the 700gph with the 1 1/2" plumbing) you really only need like 300gph for it otherwise you will end up with am aggressive waterfall sound from your plumbing. I have a ballvalve on my return valve closed off a good bit to slow down the flow through the overflowbox and plumbing and it quieted right down so food for thought there. I just ordered a light for mine so i dont have much input but its the viparspectra led (chinese blackbox) from amazon itll be here tomorrow so i can let ya know how it looks when i get it up and running.
My build thread is in my signature take a look through and see what ya think. I did the same thing when starting mine just searched the hell out if this site for 40 breeder builds theres quite a few. Ill be intrigued to see where you take it any questions ask away good luckk!

fishboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have almost the same setup. My display is a rimless 44g and then a breeder 40 for my sump. I use one mp 40 for my flow. Some people say it's to much for a 40. They are wrong as you can adjust it down and or put it on a variable setting.

I use a HOB overflow box.

I use two ocean revive t247's. I have them turned down so my pars are inline for my mostly sps tank. I do have some frog spawn, acans, zoas, and a couple clams but defiantly sps dominate. These lights are giving me great colors and good growth. In my opinion you can get much better lights but for the money on a tank I only plan on having up as a display for another year the price made it an easy call.

I use a bubble Magnus skimmer, one that's good for up to 120 gallons I belive. This is an area that is important for sure. Buy the best one you can afford.

My return pump is a varioS-2 variable DC pump.

I am using dosers to keep things in correct ranges. I think that's it other than an apex controller.
I will be adding a auto top off but haven't had to much trouble for the two years I've had it running.

Good luck and have fun. One small tip if you don't mind. Dip your Corals no matter who you buy them from. It's hard enough keeping everything else in check without any pests. Also quartile your fish if your able. Oh and by the way I learned the hard way. I have had AEFW and MENB. They will test you and make you think really hard how much you want to be in this hobby.

Foxy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's awesome to see a post like this. I've always wanted to make a 40b display with a 40b sump. I just finished a stand for setup like this actually.

Foxy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics please?
b1f4e4322730001400fbed43922a82ce.jpg
fc3d8b582ca1adbd33ecc3a537195302.jpg
08ba6baff32a330a44ecb4cb4f6e590b.jpg

Ignore the mess but this is the bones of it took I think 7 or 8 2x4s to make. When I get the top and bottom on I'll get some pics of the tank on top and inside of it

Foxy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
b1f4e4322730001400fbed43922a82ce.jpg
fc3d8b582ca1adbd33ecc3a537195302.jpg
08ba6baff32a330a44ecb4cb4f6e590b.jpg

Ignore the mess but this is the bones of it took I think 7 or 8 2x4s to make. When I get the top and bottom on I'll get some pics of the tank on top and inside of it
I thought I'd add this picture in for you as well. Reinforced the top a little
c0c8c8084459a046d0f633b46ca42c35.jpg

OP
OP
M

mahargkcin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a storage stand and a stone top. Going to make some panels and attach with magnets
fd2dd49e3a972087875a43ea3f7f7dad.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back