Help with first tank

Pageek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in getting into reefing (specifically corals) and need some advice on a tank to get. At present my top contender is a Waterbox 60.2. The main reason for this is it’s not too wide and will fit into my office. My main concerns or downsides and the fixed filter sock (based on my reading it seems like rollers are better) and the lack of a refug chamber. Would love the option down the road to keep a Dragonet. Maybe I am asking too much for that small a sump space. I looked at Red Sea tanks but not as crazy about them. I can’t even seem to find a sump layout for the 170 (closed comp to the 60.2). Site it just terrible. Any suggestions on a good tank to start with?

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not be the appropriate tank to meet your requirements.

The lack of a refugium chambre can be addressed with a chaeto reactor, like this one, which is what I use and like very much:

Sometimes, fixed filter sox can be modified, but this clearly can't be:

It bothers me, though I recognise many won't care, that this uses a Herbie and not a BeAnAnimal plumbing setup. DN20 is a fairly small pipe diametre to add to that:

It is quite beautiful.

How do you feel about finding more space in your office?

OP
OP
P

Pageek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The lack of a refugium chambre can be addressed with a chaeto reactor, like this one, which is what I use and like very much:

It bothers me, though I recognise many won't care, that this uses a Herbie and not a BeAnAnimal plumbing setup. DN20 is a fairly small pipe diametre to add to that:

It is quite beautiful.

Thanks.

It is quite beautiful.

It is quite beautiful.

Thanks for replying. I am open to a size up, meaning (in the Waterbox line) the 90.3. So you think that would be a better size? What do you recommend as a minimum size/model? Any opinion on Walterbox vs Red Sea? Sorry, I am sure this is a very popular topic of discussion.

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in getting into reefing (specifically corals) and need some advice on a tank to get. At present my top contender is a Waterbox 60.2. The main reason for this is it’s not too wide and will fit into my office. My main concerns or downsides and the fixed filter sock (based on my reading it seems like rollers are better) and the lack of a refug chamber. Would love the option down the road to keep a Dragonet. Maybe I am asking too much for that small a sump space. I looked at Red Sea tanks but not as crazy about them. I can’t even seem to find a sump layout for the 170 (closed comp to the 60.2). Site it just terrible. Any suggestions on a good tank to start with?
IMO you dont need a filter roller mat or refugium to have a successful reef tank. I would recommend keeping it simply and start off with a skimmer and filter socks. If you can go bigger I would suggest it bc you will have a more stable system and if you mess up dosing you have a larger volume of water to help reduce the potential impact to your tank.

I would also suggest checking out Innovative Marine tanks. They currently have 40% off all of their tanks. One of my friends recently told me he would only buy Innovative Marine tanks bc their customer service is fantastic. (Take if for what its worth.)

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would echo what others have said about not “needing” a roller mat or fuge for a very successful reef system.
Most importantly (to me) for your FIRST system, I would emphasize keeping it simple with less variables to start. There is a lot to learn and reducing variables and complexity is very very helpful.
you can always add items and many many tanks are spectacular without those components.
It is very tempting to load up on equipment from the beginning. I totally understand that.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back