Help with flow in 10x3x2.5

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I’m going to be moving house soon and my gf has agreed to my plan of knocking down a wall and having a peninsula reef as a dividing wall.

The dimensions planned are 10 feet long, 3 feet deep and 2.5 feet tall. The scape will be 4-5 islands or maybe 3 large islands and 2 small ones in between. The lighting will be hybrid T5/LED. LED over the islands for the SPS and T5s the length of the tank.

My main concern at the moment is flow. I will have 2x Maxspect Gyre 350s on each end of the peninsula. I was thinking to add a closed loop system with Random Flow Generators or Eductor nozzles and Abyzz or Red Dragon pump powering said closed loop.

Would this be enough flow for an SPS dominant tank of this size? I’m trying to avoid having loads of wavemakers on the glass.

What are your opinions?

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 gyre 350 and 4-6 m40 or mp60 on the back wall should get you started. Perhaps adding more later as frags grow into colonies.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10’ as a peninsula is going to be tough. None of the standard wave-style pumps are going to travel that far .... not even the MP60. Hydro wizard might, but they’re silly $$. A serious closed loop with something like the VCA nozzles might give you the velocity you need to get to most of the length. You would need a pump with ooomph though. I’ve no experience with the abyzz (it’s in the silly $$ category for me). Big panworld might work if you can stomach the noise.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely go closed loop at least to on the end out in the room. I would hate to see that end cluttered with power heads.

Maybe a dual closed loop with nozzles would do it and then put your gyres on the end against the wall.

At 560 gallons you are gonna need somewhere around 10-20K gallons an hour for SPS and that is in the beginning before colonies mature.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closed loop with the Random Flow Generators would do well. Given the size of the tank, i would suggest our RFGS100LL models, particularly if you are planning on going with the Abyzz pump, since they really can deliver some strong flow and a single pump can easily drive handful of RFGs.

let us know if there any questions we can answer for you regarding our RFG Nozzles

EDIT - I see you're in the UK. Check with your local fish store or find them at Charterhouse
https://charterhouse-aquatics.com/shop/aquatics/fittings/random-flow-generator

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been looking at powerheads that can move water to cover 10ft and I keep coming back to Panta Rhei Hydro Wizard, I’m currently looking at the ECM63 model https://uniquecorals.com/collection...63-hydrowizard-in-stock?variant=5730538061862

Does anyone have any experience with them, or know how big they are as I can’t seem to find dimensions. They move 13k gallons per hour and have pulse/wave modes etc, would 2 of these plus some gyres be enough not to require a closed loop system?

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's acrylic you can drill the far side bottom and put 2 bulkheads and run your returns up through the bottom pointed back toward the wall. Then put gyres on the top of the main wall and get gyre reinforcement from the returns.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's acrylic you can drill the far side bottom and put 2 bulkheads and run your returns up through the bottom pointed back toward the wall. Then put gyres on the top of the main wall and get gyre reinforcement from the returns.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortechs all the way....

They last forever. The only replacements are the wetsides that need replacing every 2 years from wear.

Main electronics and spinning outside magnets last forever. They're built like military tanks

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been looking at powerheads that can move water to cover 10ft and I keep coming back to Panta Rhei Hydro Wizard, I’m currently looking at the ECM63 model https://uniquecorals.com/collection...63-hydrowizard-in-stock?variant=5730538061862

Does anyone have any experience with them, or know how big they are as I can’t seem to find dimensions. They move 13k gallons per hour and have pulse/wave modes etc, would 2 of these plus some gyres be enough not to require a closed loop system?

I run the smaller ECM 42’s in my 5’ tank and they are the best pumps I’ve used in the 30 years I’ve been doing this. I can’t recommend the Panta Rhei pumps highly enough, they are amazing! A couple of ECM 63’s one on each side of the tank would probably be perfect. If I had a monster tank that’s what I would do!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with Abyzz and Panta Rhei - And both products are in a different league than anything else. Don't be scared by the price of an ECM63. It will move more water in a 10' tank then all the other pumps you have thought about using. Add an Abyzz for your return pump and play with the pulse mode of that and you have a great starting point. When the tank matures with SPS corals you can easily add a second ECM63. I have also loved the the new Tunze Stream 3's - Just stuff them in your rock work and forget about them -- forever.

With a peninsula or island tank -- having pumps visible all over the tank just to move water around - that silly. If you are going to invest the time and money to build a 10x3 display tank - then move away from being a hobbyist with crap stuck on every piece of glass of the tank and focus on making your tank look like a real reef. I have 6 tunze's in my 400g display tank, a 2" return and 2 story surge tank - and you can't see any of them without being right up against the tank.

OP
OP
R

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the smaller ECM 42’s in my 5’ tank and they are the best pumps I’ve used in the 30 years I’ve been doing this. I can’t recommend the Panta Rhei pumps highly enough, they are amazing! A couple of ECM 63’s one on each side of the tank would probably be perfect. If I had a monster tank that’s what I would do!

Thanks for the reply, it was some of your past posts that got me interested in the Panta Rhei pumps. Roughly what are the dimensions of your 42’s? I’d be looking at the 63’s but the dimensions of the 42’s would give me an idea of where to start.
I can’t find any information on these or many videos... most of it is in German.

OP
OP
R

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with Abyzz and Panta Rhei - And both products are in a different league than anything else. Don't be scared by the price of an ECM63. It will move more water in a 10' tank then all the other pumps you have thought about using. Add an Abyzz for your return pump and play with the pulse mode of that and you have a great starting point. When the tank matures with SPS corals you can easily add a second ECM63. I have also loved the the new Tunze Stream 3's - Just stuff them in your rock work and forget about them -- forever.

With a peninsula or island tank -- having pumps visible all over the tank just to move water around - that silly. If you are going to invest the time and money to build a 10x3 display tank - then move away from being a hobbyist with crap stuck on every piece of glass of the tank and focus on making your tank look like a real reef. I have 6 tunze's in my 400g display tank, a 2" return and 2 story surge tank - and you can't see any of them without being right up against the tank.

This is what I am aiming for, a way to hide pumps and other circulation equipment. Do you have a journal or anything I could read for some ideas on how to go about this. Your tank sounds amazing!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a build thread here on Reef2Reef and I have videos on youtube under o2manyfish.

I am not currently using the Panta Rhei on my 400g display. My 400g is 15 years old and the circulation pumps (Tunze) have been hidden inside the aquascaping since day 1. With my next tank (880g Island Tank) I will be using the Tunze Stream 3's and probably (2) ECM 63 hidden in the center of the tank each pointing a different direction.

My upgraded filtration does include (2) Abyzz pumps - Plumbed 1 to the filtration and 1 to the tank returns. In the event either pump fails (Flow Sensors and float sensors will alert me) I can remotely activate a motorized ball valve and either pump takes over pumping for the entire system.

And then I can remotely increase the flow of either Abyzz Pump.

I am using the A200's. The one for return runs 40'+ to my display tank and at 62% is pushing 2000gph.

Dave B

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, it was some of your past posts that got me interested in the Panta Rhei pumps. Roughly what are the dimensions of your 42’s? I’d be looking at the 63’s but the dimensions of the 42’s would give me an idea of where to start.
I can’t find any information on these or many videos... most of it is in German.

The ECM42 pump is 4 7/8” in length and 2.5” in diameter. They are small, very powerful pumps.

OP
OP
R

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a build thread here on Reef2Reef and I have videos on youtube under o2manyfish.

I am not currently using the Panta Rhei on my 400g display. My 400g is 15 years old and the circulation pumps (Tunze) have been hidden inside the aquascaping since day 1. With my next tank (880g Island Tank) I will be using the Tunze Stream 3's and probably (2) ECM 63 hidden in the center of the tank each pointing a different direction.

My upgraded filtration does include (2) Abyzz pumps - Plumbed 1 to the filtration and 1 to the tank returns. In the event either pump fails (Flow Sensors and float sensors will alert me) I can remotely activate a motorized ball valve and either pump takes over pumping for the entire system.

And then I can remotely increase the flow of either Abyzz Pump.

I am using the A200's. The one for return runs 40'+ to my display tank and at 62% is pushing 2000gph.

Dave B

Thanks, I’ll have a look for the videos and check out the build thread. I need to have a look into disguising powerheads because that is the kind of thing I’d want to do for aesthetics.

OP
OP
R

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ECM42 pump is 4 7/8” in length and 2.5” in diameter. They are small, very powerful pumps.

Wow!! That’s a lot smaller than I was expecting, I’m hopeful that the 63’s won’t be a crazy size as to put me off their use because from everything I’m reading they seem to be the answer for my flow worries.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC runs the 63's in their 900. So you can get a size look from that. They are pretty big but they're probably the best option.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back