Help with Fluval Evo 13.5 Build!

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , question so I’m setting up a new Fluval Evo 13.5 and I have a question on salt wise. I used Fritz salt in the past but was wondering if Red Sea Pro Salt was a better option. My main goal is to have some nice Zoas, goni’s , acans, torches , hammers ,frogspawn (Maybe an RBTA, and work my way up to some easy SPS) please keep in mind I want to start out with this tank and work my way up to a bigger tank in the future. Just want to know if I should use Red Sea Purple bucket or Fritz . Thanks

P.S. i was gifted a Kessil A360x Tuna Blue for my birthday last month will that light be more then enough ? And should it still be 8inches off the water ?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is a loaded question which mostly comes down to personal preference. I currently use Fritz on 3 aquariums and have no issues with it but the price has gone up to about the same as red sea which makes me think the salt may be saltier on the other side of the fence......
I think in overall volume red sea is more popular than Fritz but I dont think either would be the cause of any issues.

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is a loaded question which mostly comes down to personal preference. I currently use Fritz on 3 aquariums and have no issues with it but the price has gone up to about the same as red sea which makes me think the salt may be saltier on the other side of the fence......
I think in overall volume red sea is more popular than Fritz but I dont think either would be the cause of any issues.
Haha yeah it was a loaded question. I have noticed the price go up. I just wanted to know since I see that the Red Sea says it has higher ALK then Fritz I wanted to know if that’s a bad thing ?

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz has a high alk option as well, and again a loaded question as a lot of people will swear by high alk..... I actually have a 13.5 and I use all for reef for dosing which from my understanding is meant to hold the alk between 7-9 I am not sure if you could use it with a high alk salt to maintain higher levels or not....

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and the Kessil A360x will be way more than needed, but will not hurt anything to run it at lower settings, as far as distance off the water I usually look to BRS for info on these sorts of things:

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz has a high alk option as well, and again a loaded question as a lot of people will swear by high alk..... I actually have a 13.5 and I use all for reef for dosing which from my understanding is meant to hold the alk between 7-9 I am not sure if you could use it with a high alk salt to maintain higher levels or not....
Alright thanks , I guess ima have to keep researching. I always used the Blue box of Fritz so idk if going to The Red Sea will be bad with the elevated levels

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea also had a regular that does not have the elevated levels as well.... Might be worth looking into as well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , question so I’m setting up a new Fluval Evo 13.5 and I have a question on salt wise. I used Fritz salt in the past but was wondering if Red Sea Pro Salt was a better option. My main goal is to have some nice Zoas, goni’s , acans, torches , hammers ,frogspawn (Maybe an RBTA, and work my way up to some easy SPS) please keep in mind I want to start out with this tank and work my way up to a bigger tank in the future. Just want to know if I should use Red Sea Purple bucket or Fritz . Thanks

P.S. i was gifted a Kessil A360x Tuna Blue for my birthday last month will that light be more then enough ? And should it still be 8inches off the water ?

All salts work. You can find a successful tank with any of them. There is no BEST salt. High alk, low alk... tanks can be successful with either. All that matters is stability.. so no swinging around regardless of which number you target.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back