Help with FOWLR Plans

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R FOWLR Experts,
I currently have a 300G mixed reef, but I'm strongly considering putting in a 100G-ish FOWLR as well. Actually, I'd like to have a "modified" FOWLR with some coral, other inverts, decorative macroalgae, etc. in it if possible. And, hence, my question: what type of other stuff can I put in a tank that'll have triggers, angels, etc.? I really want the look of a mixed reef, but with a bunch of reef unsafe fish that I've always wanted but could never get. Can I put anemones in? Are there types of coral that these fish will usually leave alone? Any cool inverts I can put in without too much worry? I really don't like the look of just live rock and fish---and I'd really prefer not going the fake coral route (even though there are now some really nice albeit quite expensive options on that front these days).
Please let me know what's worked for you! Many thanks in advance!

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, by definition, if you have stuff other than fish in a tank, it's not a FOWLR tank. Having said that...

It seems you want to have not-reef-safe-fish in a tank, but want some type of other life that gives it a reef feel. I think you absolutely can do that. First and foremost, you need to layout what exact fish you want to put into it. That's really going to drive what you put in there besides the fish.

You can do things like rock nems, tube nems and probably some softies (again, depending on your fish selection). Maybe some clams?

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, by definition, if you have stuff other than fish in a tank, it's not a FOWLR tank. Having said that...

It seems you want to have not-reef-safe-fish in a tank, but want some type of other life that gives it a reef feel. I think you absolutely can do that. First and foremost, you need to layout what exact fish you want to put into it. That's really going to drive what you put in there besides the fish.

You can do things like rock nems, tube nems and probably some softies (again, depending on your fish selection). Maybe some clams?
Very good ideas! Yeah, fish selection will have to go first. I'm thinking a trigger for sure, hopefully a parrotfish, etc. Regarding anemones, I've found conflicting info on whether bubbletips and other tentacle anemones are safe with non-reefsafe fish. Like so much else in this hobby, there are differing opinions about every single question!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back