Help with GHA and bryopsis outbreak

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 month old LPS heavy with some SPS 200g system with an elaborate basement sump and all the filtration one could want. Filter rollers, skimmer, algae scrubber, UV, ozone, carbon reactor, GFO reactor. My water chemistry is good, stability is good, I do the Reef Moonshiners program and ICP tests monthly. On any given day 90% of my corals look awesome and healthy but the GHA is encroaching on some and making them close up.

I've been struggling with GHA for the last couple months, it's not at plague proportions but is growing steadily. For some unknown reason 90% of my snails died over about a month period a couple months ago. After that I got GHA. To deal with the GHA I've been manually removing, I added more snails, and 5 tuxedo urchins and I've always had 4 tangs. I've also been working to lower my PO4 by feeding less, testing more often and keeping an appropriate amount of Rowaphos in a reactor. This approach isn't cutting it. After talking with an experienced reefer whom I respect I ordered a dolabella sea hare which will be delivered tomorrow.

Well last night I was inspecting the tank and discovered 5 quarter to half dollar sized clumps of bryopsis growing on my rock. I know sea hares don't eat bryopsis so I'm looking for advice on how to tackle this multi-pronged algae problem.

What I'm thinking is to introduce the sea hare when it arrives tomorrow and put some 2 part epoxy over the bryopsis patches that I can see and get to. Let the sea hare do it's job for a while and once the GHA is mostly gone treat the whole system with Reef Flux to address the Bryopsis (assuming coating the patches I can see in epoxy isn't sufficient to eradicate it). Does this sound like a solid plan?

Current Params
Salinity: 34.5 (Hanna/ICP)
pH: 8.3-8.4 (Apex/Hanna)
Temp: 77.1-78.3 (Apex/Hanna)
Alk: 7.8-8.2 (Trident/ICP)
Ca: 420-425 (Salifert/ICP/Trident)
Mg: 1450 (Trident/ICP)
PO4: 0.05 (Hanna/ICP)
NO3: 6.3 (Hanna/ICP)

Algae is not directly noticeable in this recent FTS but trust me it's there. On the sand, on the rocks, and in my vortechs.

20230407_115941.jpg

I know this is GHA not bryopsis. The bryopsis is in other places in my tank which I don't have a picture of.
20230330_201915.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is still young and algae is a natural occurrence. Manual removal or dosing some phyto would be all I would bother with.

luilui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbo snails work great. I had a case of very severe Bryopsis/GHA after coming back from a business trip and my kid over fed the tank. My phosphates were over the range of the test kit. I didn't want to use chemicals, so I got 9 large 1.5 inch turbo snails and they mowed it down very quickly. they even ate the 2 inch stuff. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it for myself. You could see the mowed pathway they made through the jungle. My Tomini tang and Lawnmower blenny didn't touch the stuff. You must get large snails. I had smaller ones and they didn't do much. The larger the snail, the larger the appetite. The algae didn't come back in the areas they ate. the snails grew larger quickly. Live Aquaria says that they only get 1 inch in size. Mine are now larger than 1.5 and you can see the growth lines on the shells even after 2 weeks...and they poop like crazy...i guess all that algae, so make sure your filtration system is up to the task.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back