Help with Goniopora dying!

Reeferey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi- anyone know how to save my Goniopora , it seems to be dying 1-3 cells a day.
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1376805414.998870.jpg
before
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1376805487.594010.jpg
after

Wankell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always heard that they were very hard to keep alive. Sorry I cant help much, hopefully someone can chime in.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya they do well for a while then most of them slowly go downhill.one of the corals that should be left in the ocean imo.But I do know people that have kept them for years.I can't help much either sry.Hopefully the rest can make a good comeback for ya

Bluewater04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried to spot feed with something like a plastic bottle over it

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4

OP
OP
Reeferey

Reeferey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been spot feeding it with a long dropper, with Microvert and brine & mysis shrimp. What else does it eat?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That species of goniopora (Goniopora stokesi) is encrusting and cannot live on the sandbed without the recession you are seeing. that being said, my large one like yours has only receded to the point where it does not touch the sand and is doing very well, and has been for several months now.

As for feeding, anything small-particle, 100-300 microns or so. Feed it about once a week or so, or more if your bioload can handle it. Feeding daily is best for all corals, but not necessary for basic growth.

mcrbar910

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to stir sand around them that they love the dirty stuff in the sand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That does look like Goniopora stokesi which is near impossible to keep. I have kept lots of different goniopora and some are easier and some are hard to keep but that species is almost impossible. There just isn't anything you can do, they usually start receding from the bottom and then eventually get a bacteria infection.

The secrete to keeping most goniopara is food and lots of it for some. There are a few that dont need as many feedings like the ora red goniopora but still seem to befifit from it..

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They recede from the bottom because they are put on the sand - most successfully keeping G. stokesi keep it on egg crate or a small, flat rock. Mine has been with me for since April or so, receded immediately since it was kept on the sand, but the recession stopped almost exactly at the sand line, and has been fine since.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They recede from the bottom because they are put on the sand - most successfully keeping G. stokesi keep it on egg crate or a small, flat rock. Mine has been with me for since April or so, receded immediately since it was kept on the sand, but the recession stopped almost exactly at the sand line, and has been fine since.

I actually think they recede from the bottom because they are slowly starving... I have seen this same thing happen when they are kept on rocks. I have had one for a year and a half maybe longer never touching the sand and then it did the same thing. Problem with most gonis too is they really are hard to id.

Jeffanator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with them feeding them every night and adding red sea reef energy A&B to the food before I fed them , we'll I add that stuff to all my feedings for coral and fish both.

OP
OP
Reeferey

Reeferey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Gonipora doing better now, seems to be growing back the lower portions that were dying off. I did raise it off the sand and started spot feeding it more often....:)
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1379475016.302425.jpg

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg! so sorry to hear. ive had my bright neon highlighter for about 2years now. whats your water pars? and what type of condition do you have it in ?

lxeroxl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed mine with oyster feast mixed with iron. I read an article a long time ago that said they have super tiny mouths so you need to just let the food fall on them. so what i do is take a coral feeder and hold it a few inches above them and just lightly mist the food on them a few secconds at a time. if they are eating you will see there heads close up and eat the food.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back