help with green star polyps and xenia please

thefez510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone I need help with my gsp pls. I cant keep a gsp and xenia alive since my tank crash about 4 months ago. I bought 2 different gsp and xenia from different store about 2 weeks ago a and both are not open and one of them is starting to melt (xenia melted 2 days after i bought it). I don't know what I'm doing wrong the rest of my corals such as hammer, frogspawn, zoa and duncans are doing fine but the gsp and xenia is here are my parameters thanks in advance.

alk: 8.3
cal: 380
mag: 1350
nitrate: 10
phosphate: 0
ph: 8.0

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to increase your cal to 450ish

Everything else looks fine. Unless your phos are really 0 then I'd increase that too. Those are some hardy corals in my opinion so its odd they are the only ones affected. My GSP can survive anything at this point lol.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase calcium and phosphate. My GSP super hardy so it should recover if you make slow adjustments

OP
OP
T

thefez510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to increase your cal to 450ish

Everything else looks fine. Unless your phos are really 0 then I'd increase that too. Those are some hardy corals in my opinion so its odd they are the only ones affected. My GSP can survive anything at this point lol.
alright ill do that thank you, should i increase my nitrate as well i hear xenia and gsp likes around the 20 level

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright ill do that thank you, should i increase my nitrate as well i hear xenia and gsp likes around the 20 level
I'd keep the nitrates stable for now. Don't want to change too many things before isolating the problem. I've never had issues with my GSP at nitrates in the 10-30 range. I wouldn't say they like higher nitrates. Just more tolerable in my opinion.

Also what's for salinity at?

OP
OP
T

thefez510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep the nitrates stable for now. Don't want to change too many things before isolating the problem. I've never had issues with my GSP at nitrates in the 10-30 range. I wouldn't say they like higher nitrates. Just more tolerable in my opinion.

Also what's for salinity at?
its 1.026 and ok i will do that thank you

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they're getting adequate light. GSP and xenia are really hardy so I'd your other corals are doing well its not as likely a parameters thing. (Still should increase phos above 0 and Calc a little)

Do they get adequate flow or is something eating them?

OP
OP
T

thefez510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they're getting adequate light. GSP and xenia are really hardy so I'd your other corals are doing well its not as likely a parameters thing. (Still should increase phos above 0 and Calc a little)

Do they get adequate flow or is something eating them?
as far as i know nothing is eating them i only have a couple of snails and hermit in there my clownfish are in quarantine due to gill flukes and i have them where i can get most flow still didn't work. oh if i raise my calc a little would that lower my alk?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my GSP did well until 8 months of stable chemistry, then, everything did great including Acros.

Maybe just not enough time yet?

OP
OP
T

thefez510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my GSP did well until 8 months of stable chemistry, then, everything did great including Acros.

Maybe just not enough time yet?
not sure but i will try to raise my cal and phosphate to see if it will help

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure but i will try to raise my cal and phosphate to see if it will help
While corals can use nitrate directly, phosphate is used by other algae’s and bacterium in the system, an then taking up by the corals.

In early stages, these good guy populations may be too low for hungry softies and are slow to develop.

Good luck.

OP
OP
T

thefez510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While corals can use nitrate directly, phosphate is used by other algae’s and bacterium in the system, an then taking up by the corals.

In early stages, these good guy populations may be too low for hungry softies and are slow to develop.

Good luck.
got you thank you, i was thinking of adding neophos to speed up the population so i can still save the gsp that i have i was wondering do you know how much neophos i should add for my 10 gallon I've been following their calculation and my phos hasnt change it shows less than .03 at least the salifert says its 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got you thank you, i was thinking of adding neophos to speed up the population so i can still save the gsp that i have i was wondering do you know how much neophos i should add for my 10 gallon I've been following their calculation and my phos hasnt change it shows less than .03 at least the salifert says its 0
Phosphate is tough to get a good read on. Only Hanna works for me as there is so little if this in the water.

Some will bind to your substrate making it unavailable so you got to be real careful.

When I need to bump mine from time to time, I use 10ml on 200g then use my Hanna.

My salifert reads .25ppm forever and this fooled me for months.

Since phosphate is so critical, I’d invest in the Hanna UL Phosphorus checker in PP billion so it’s easy to manage this element.

OP
OP
T

thefez510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is tough to get a good read on. Only Hanna works for me as there is so little if this in the water.

Some will bind to your substrate making it unavailable so you got to be real careful.

When I need to bump mine from time to time, I use 10ml on 200g then use my Hanna.

My salifert reads .25ppm forever and this fooled me for months.

Since phosphate is so critical, I’d invest in the Hanna UL Phosphorus checker in PP billion so it’s easy to manage this element.
alright i shall do that thank you. i really appreciate it

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back