Help with hindges and doors on diy stand

poppafish29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built the frame of my stand using 2x4's. Then I skinned it with 1/2" plywood. I of coarse cut out the front panal for the doors. However, now I can't figure out what type of hindges I need or how to cut the doors to make them fit how I want them to. I'll try to explain: I want no hindges to be seen from the outside of the stand. I also want the doors to be flush inside of the cut out for them. Can anyone help???

BobMc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the sounds of what you're describing, you're talking about an "inset" style for the doors. Google "Inset cabinet doors" to see if that's what you're talking about. If that is in fact what you're talking about, you'll need to get concealed inset hinges. However, you may want to reconsider an inset style of doors because the wood will swell due to the moisture and will make the doors stick. The wood can be treated, but that isn't a guarantee that you won't encounter any problems.

OP
OP
P

poppafish29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inset seams to be what I was thinking, but you raise some concerns as you mention. I really do not mind going with an overlay. My main concern is not to see the hinges.

Bob, I'll have to research those some more. The 2x4 frame of the stand is not near the cut out for the doors. So, the hinges would be screwed into the 1/2" plywood.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those hinges that bob posted are perfect for a concealed hinge on an overlay, but you have to be careful depending on the thickness of your doors. The righthand portion in the image of that link is usually about 1/2-3/4" thick (depending on the hinge) and needs to be countersunk into the back of the door. If you're trying to make nice thin, low-profile doors you'll run into problems with those hinges as well. They make hinges that are somewhat similar, but don't have the countersunk portion for thin doors, so that's what you'd need to look into, assuming your doors will be wafer thin to maintain a sleek look.

warlock4x4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
P

poppafish29

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Swannyson, You seem to know exactly what I am after. I do want thin doors. I am looking at 1/2" thick. So, those countersunk hinges wont work, but what will??

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I, too, thought you were looking for "Euro" hinges, but those are designed to sit outside of the rails & stiles (on the outside of the opening).

I'm not a super DIYer, but it's my understanding that there are no hinges that will hide the pin from the outside view other than the euro and knife hinge. The full inset hinges I googled seem to show the pin. There's a Woodcraft store in Clearwater, which is super close to you. I would go there and ask the help if you can't find the answer here. Good luck!

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woodcraft is a national chain. Here's the woodcraft store in your area.
Clearwater Woodworking Supplies at Woodcraft ? Woodworking Store in Clearwater, FL

I was wrong, though. I dug a little deeper, and it looks like there are full inset hinges that won't show. This appears to be one example.
35676-04-500.jpg

Blum Soft-Close 110° BLUMotion Clip Top Hinges for Face Frame Cabinets - Rockler Woodworking Tools

The first thing you'll be asked is whether your stand is "frameless" or "face frame." That determines what kind of hinge you'll use in a big way. That one above is for a face frame style cabinet.

bluepit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before I ever install those hinges I paint them in clear finger nail polish so they dont rust. My wife better not read this post or I am dead for using here nail polishon my tanks.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back