Help with ht against ich

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a ht running, tests read perfect. I have lots of LS for bb, added more LR to the ht for bb purposes, don't care about it, rock is rock!!! I know your supposed to run a bare tank for ht purposes but with thi list I don't think so!!!!
MY LIVESTOCK

•Powder Brown Tan
•Powder Blue Tang
•2 yellow tangs
•Blue Hippo Tang
•Yellow mimic Tang
•Scopas Tang
•Flame Angle
•Square Anthias
•Oriental Sweetlips
•Diamond Goby
•Engineer
•Bicolour Blenny
•4 snowflake clowns
No meds yet, checking on the ammonia and nitrite and they managed to spike it up to 0.5 ammonia and nitrites to 0.25? Should I add more rock??? Or what do I do??

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't really understand what you are asking? You need to get that ammonia down with water changes.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should use a liquid ammonia detoxifier in the interim. Ammonia at that level is burning fishes scales and gills. Sounds like this tank has been set up quickly and the bacteria aren't able to cope with bioload yet.

What medications are you planning on using? Issue with relying on a large established biological filter (LS, LR) in a hospital tank is that many medications will kill the beneficial bacteria, resulting in a many issues that compile and then have to be dealt with simultaneously.
It's a 75g HT, so you suggest I do a water change every day?? That's insane
No it's not. I have found over time that daily water changes in quarantine warrant the best results. That's besides the point for now...

OP
OP
Dalmatia

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've added more rock yesterday and my ammonia went down half and so did the nitrites. Fish seem fine. I'm gonna keep off of the water change just cause the way it's going now my ammonia and nitrites will be at 0ppm tomorrow this time. My fingers are crossed

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this right.......? You have this list of livestock below in a new 75 gallon HT (Hospital Tank) for Quarantine purposes or ???

•Powder Brown Tan
•Powder Blue Tang
•2 yellow tangs
•Blue Hippo Tang
•Yellow mimic Tang
•Scopas Tang
•Flame Angle
•Square Anthias
•Oriental Sweetlips
•Diamond Goby
•Engineer
•Bicolour Blenny
•4 snowflake clowns

I would think that even with LR and LS you have in there that somewhere in the 10-15 gallon range of daily water changes would be a requirement for responsible husbandry here at least for the first couple of weeks. Would like to know the answer to my first question as to better understand your situation then provide further advice if warranted.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. After seeing above post definitely would suggest daily or at least every other day WC's and replacement of removed Cupramine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalmatia

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me get this right.......? You have this list of livestock below in a new 75 gallon HT (Hospital Tank) for Quarantine purposes or ???

•Powder Brown Tan
•Powder Blue Tang
•2 yellow tangs
•Blue Hippo Tang
•Yellow mimic Tang
•Scopas Tang
•Flame Angle
•Square Anthias
•Oriental Sweetlips
•Diamond Goby
•Engineer
•Bicolour Blenny
•4 snowflake clowns

I would think that even with LR and LS you have in there that somewhere in the 10-15 gallon range of daily water changes would be a requirement for responsible husbandry here at least for the first couple of weeks. Would like to know the answer to my first question as to better understand your situation then provide further advice if warranted.

Cheers, Todd

P.S. After seeing above post definitely would suggest daily or at least every other day WC's and replacement of removed Cupramine.

I'm treating them for ich,,, and cupramine won't kill the bb, just slow them down. They will recover! Done it before. Just the ammonia spike scared me

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While working with my friend in Honolulu that is in the Marine Fish Business it was not unusual to house these concentrations of Fish in similar setups, though systems were very mature and we performed daily 50-60% water changes and reapplication of meds. What size system or Display are this group of Fish going into ? Looks to be a very nice setup in the making.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
Dalmatia

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS
BB
LR

And to keep your system cleaner, either run a larger skimmer or do more water changes to keep em in check.

It's got a 220g coralife skimmer. Well after adding more rock my levels are dropping. Still at work, when I get home hopefully they will be at 0

OP
OP
Dalmatia

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While working with my friend in Honolulu that is in the Marine Fish Business it was not unusual to house these concentrations of Fish in similar setups, though systems were very mature and we performed daily 50-60% water changes and reapplication of meds. What size system or Display are this group of Fish going into ? Looks to be a very nice setup in the making.

Cheers, Todd

They live in a 150g for about 3yrs now
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1392322773.435039.jpg

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's got a 220g coralife skimmer. Well after adding more rock my levels are dropping. Still at work, when I get home hopefully they will be at 0
Super skimmer 220 isnt anvery good skimmer, unless youve modified it and changed the pump. Out of the box id only run it on a 75g tank.

OP
OP
Dalmatia

Dalmatia

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya not much luck! Ammonia went back to 0.5ppm and nitrite to 0.25ppm. I have a canister filter with nothing but LR in it serving my DT, gonna put that on my ht? That will help with the bio load? No?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back